Section 2 ending soon - Discharge Meeting Advice Please

Misty1001

Aug 29, 2021
Hi

I wonder if anyone has experience mild cognitive decline with suspected parkinsons - auditory and visual delusions and paranoia & led to mental health assessment admission under section 2. Mums delusions etc were all present in her home/not sleeping etc upset and frightened believing people in loft/cupboards etc/leaving home with bag packed to get bus ‘anywhere’ rather than be at home. None of this has been present whilst admitted in assessment centre (alrhough she still believes it all and has told them all about it herself) - a week after admission they started her on quetiapine and has been very settled. Discharge meeting arranged for next week with 10 healthcare professions and me - really concerned that as she has been settled there and as she is still mobile etc. they will agree with her request go home and potential refusal of carers and revert back to medication is poison stance - any experience or advice welcomed - as much as I want mum home I am not around 24/7 and am really concerned and worried - Thank you

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
Tell them what you have told us here and be very clear about what support you can and cannot provide.

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
Hi my mum is in this situation now, almost identical to yours, and I was wondering if there were any updates on your mum. Mine has been much better on the mental health ward but we’re worried the previous way of acting could come back when she’s home

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Hi

I wonder if anyone has experience mild cognitive decline with suspected parkinsons - auditory and visual delusions and paranoia & led to mental health assessment admission under section 2. Mums delusions etc were all present in her home/not sleeping etc upset and frightened believing people in loft/cupboards etc/leaving home with bag packed to get bus ‘anywhere’ rather than be at home. None of this has been present whilst admitted in assessment centre (alrhough she still believes it all and has told them all about it herself) - a week after admission they started her on quetiapine and has been very settled. Discharge meeting arranged for next week with 10 healthcare professions and me - really concerned that as she has been settled there and as she is still mobile etc. they will agree with her request go home and potential refusal of carers and revert back to medication is poison stance - any experience or advice welcomed - as much as I want mum home I am not around 24/7 and am really concerned and worried - Thank you
Oh dear. I fear you may well be right. It sounds like she still has a level of capacity so that is the most likely outcome. She will probably be on best behaviour at the meeting ('hostess mode'!) and will convince them she's absolutely fine and will happily accept carers coming in to help, when you know very well that none of that is true.

I would question her diagnosis which sounds very much like mid-stage dementia (you have described all the classic symptoms of someone in mid stage) and way beyond mild cognitive decline. It looks like she has progressd quite a bit from when that diagnosis was made. But if she presents well they will send her home and you will have to go through all this again when the next crisis happens. I am so sorry - it really shouldn't be like this but if you read around these forums you will come across the same thing happening to others.

It's worth expressing your objections at the meeting, in particular you could say that you have reached carer breakdown yourself and can no longer help your mum. Which means she will be alone at night which is when she will be At Risk. Point this out and stress that she is a Vulnerable Adult and they have Duty of Care, not you. Don't let them guilt you into filling the gaps.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare