• All threads and posts regarding Coronavirus COVID-19 can be found in our area specifically for Coronavirus COVID-19 discussion.

You can directly access this area >here<.

Scams!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We have been getting the same scam call for about a year now. Its that there's a problem with our internet connection is going to fail and that I should speak to a technician . I did speak to a technician once. I told him that someone had been telling me that the internet was going down for twelve months now but as it hadn't could he please explain . He mumbled for a bit and then hung up.

The other one is a recorded message supposedly from the tax office, that we had done something illegal and that we are going to be arrested. I hang up on recorded messages anyway but there must be many people who would find that one quite frightening .

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good idea! With regard to the Internet/computer one of these idiots rang whilst the computer was at a shop and said I had problems with it so I said I know that's why it's in the shop.

MaNaAk

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Scams are rife here in New Zealand too.
I work for a bank and the increase in Card & Internet banking fraud has never been higher.
Recently we had mass text message fraud pretending to be from our National Courier company that you have a parcel to be delivered but you need to pay a small customs charge and to enter your details and card number.
It results in your card being signed up to either a Music/Movie/Gaming site which charges you a monthly charge of about GBP50.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I had two scams yesterday. One from Amanzon (sic) wanting an update of my card details and the other from the DVLA about my electric car (news to me) and requiring a payment of my licence.

I go to the name that sent it and tap so I can see their true address and then block it. Last week I had eight altogether in the block file.

The question is always where they are getting my email address from but I don’t suppose it is so hard.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I must tell you about a text that I've just received! A number of you will know that I am a Piano and Violin teacher and likely to be self-employed to which I am entitled to apply for a self-employed grant. If anyone here is in a similar situation please apply only through HMRC and do not reply to texts from people pretending to be HMRC or any other company. These evil people are making the most out of the pandemic.

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
West Hertfordshire
Hello Everyone.

I must tell you about a text that I've just received! A number of you will know that I am a Piano and Violin teacher and likely to be self-employed to which I am entitled to apply for a self-employed grant. If anyone here is in a similar situation please apply only through HMRC and do not reply to texts from people pretending to be HMRC or any other company. These evil people are making the most out of the pandemic.

MaNaAk
Makes you wonder where they have obtained your Number