Scams!

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
We have been getting the same scam call for about a year now. Its that there's a problem with our internet connection is going to fail and that I should speak to a technician . I did speak to a technician once. I told him that someone had been telling me that the internet was going down for twelve months now but as it hadn't could he please explain . He mumbled for a bit and then hung up.

The other one is a recorded message supposedly from the tax office, that we had done something illegal and that we are going to be arrested. I hang up on recorded messages anyway but there must be many people who would find that one quite frightening .

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Good idea! With regard to the Internet/computer one of these idiots rang whilst the computer was at a shop and said I had problems with it so I said I know that's why it's in the shop.

MaNaAk

Linbrusco

Mar 4, 2013
Auckland...... New Zealand
Scams are rife here in New Zealand too.
I work for a bank and the increase in Card & Internet banking fraud has never been higher.
Recently we had mass text message fraud pretending to be from our National Courier company that you have a parcel to be delivered but you need to pay a small customs charge and to enter your details and card number.
It results in your card being signed up to either a Music/Movie/Gaming site which charges you a monthly charge of about GBP50.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I had two scams yesterday. One from Amanzon (sic) wanting an update of my card details and the other from the DVLA about my electric car (news to me) and requiring a payment of my licence.

I go to the name that sent it and tap so I can see their true address and then block it. Last week I had eight altogether in the block file.

The question is always where they are getting my email address from but I don’t suppose it is so hard.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

I must tell you about a text that I've just received! A number of you will know that I am a Piano and Violin teacher and likely to be self-employed to which I am entitled to apply for a self-employed grant. If anyone here is in a similar situation please apply only through HMRC and do not reply to texts from people pretending to be HMRC or any other company. These evil people are making the most out of the pandemic.

MaNaAk

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Hello Everyone.

I must tell you about a text that I've just received! A number of you will know that I am a Piano and Violin teacher and likely to be self-employed to which I am entitled to apply for a self-employed grant. If anyone here is in a similar situation please apply only through HMRC and do not reply to texts from people pretending to be HMRC or any other company. These evil people are making the most out of the pandemic.

MaNaAk
Makes you wonder where they have obtained your Number

SewHappy

Feb 3, 2019
When I answer the problem with the Internet calls I offer to transfer the call to my husband. I explain that he is a retired IT professional who would enjoy nothing more than a technical conversation to resolve any IT issues. That is true but they don't seem to stay on the line for him to chat to them. They don't stay on the line for long when he answers either.

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Well I said before dad had trouble pronouncing the word scam so when I asked him who was on the phone he would call out 'scum'. The person on the other end would have heard him loud and clear as he was deaf!

MaNaAk

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I was told that when you get a phone call, don’t speak for a few seconds as automated recorded scams are set up to only respond to the sound of a voice. I have tried this and it does seem to work, if I remain silent, the phone just clicks off. Obviously a real person tends to say something so I then respond.

Woo2

Apr 30, 2019
South East
I have had a couple of calls reputedly from Amazon , it wasn’t and also several texts claiming to be EE and that I need to update my billing info as it wasn’t paid and I am about to be cut off ! All scams .

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
Hello Everyone.

A machine phoned to tell me that someone was using my card so I just put the phone down.

MaNaAk

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I have had a couple of calls reputedly from Amazon , it wasn’t and also several texts claiming to be EE and that I need to update my billing info as it wasn’t paid and I am about to be cut off ! All scams .
I have had the Amazon one as well. It said that there had been a credit card charged to them for $1400 but they had blocked it and wanted me to go through the 'Press 1 now' format. I have a debit card and have never possessed a credit card so that was wrong from the start. And why would anyone believe a recorded message but I know they do.

My mobile service provider puts up a bright orange screen for an incoming call alerting me that it is a fraudulent number which gives me the chance to block it.

I also get numerous Paypal emails telling me all sorts of problems with my account which I don't have.

Email addresses are sold from one scammer to the next and hackers make loads from bulk email lists held by just about every company that has ever existed.

Countryboy

Mar 17, 2005
South West
I often wonder if people actually give away to much information especially when looking at various product’s online if I’m only after information and it insists on filling in all question I do that BUT :D I give the false information such as: Name , phone number, address & post code, and false email address:cool:

If I don’t actually get the information or they send it to email address or call the phone number none of exists all factious rubbish anyway. :p I also bought the new BT premium cordless phones and they block all know scam callers I block all International callers and with withheld number well the caller has to give their name I can then choose to accept the call or allow it to go answerphone of even block from calling me again the only reason I don’t block withheld because sometimes it be Doctors or Hospital :rolleyes: . maybe I can just let the phone ring because for 25 years I worked in and office with 20 plus other people all has their own phone and extension number so from 9am to 5pm a phone or phones would be ringing all day and why would you answers someone’s else’s phone :):);)

I frontal-temporal-dementia FTD for over 20 years. o_O but I’m very cautious and switched On of for scammers or unwanted callers:):)

Last edited:

MaNaAk

Jun 19, 2016
Essex
I've just had the usual phone call telling me that I have an Amazon Prime account of course I guessed it would be one of these phone calls as it is lunchtime.

MaNaAk