Say hello and introduce yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Tee1 and welcome to our supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your Mum. I can only suggest looking for something that she will eat and - if you find it - stick with that (however boring that might seem) rather than a more varied diet. Loss of interest in ordinary things, including food, seems common in people with dementia.

Last edited by a moderator:

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Tee1 .

I’m sorry to hear about your mum. I wondered if you would find this of any help -

Last edited by a moderator:

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hello,

I’m new and just wishing to be part of a community with an understanding of dementia.
I care for my dad who is 91 and has had an Alzheimer’s diagnosis for 12 years now. He has lived with me for over 10 years now.
I wouldn’t have things any other way but I feel extremely stressed by the smallest thing right now. Dad was very unwell with a virus recently and it seemed likely he would not pull through. I was so relieved when he did but then seeing his very poor quality of life in the ensuing two to three weeks made it feel ludicrous that I wished so hard for him to recover. He is much improved now but of course he has long-standing dementia and he is totally unaware he was unwell.

I feel I have been loosing dad incrementally for probably 20 years ( his memory was diminishing from age 70) and the sadness of it feels quite overwhelming.
I always try to be kind and patient and I have no problem undertaking all his care needs but I miss him so much despite the fact he is still here.

I don’t know if anyone understands this unless they too care for a loved one with dementia. I think I just needed to say it out loud. It feels like 10 plus years of goodbyes to the next little part of my precious dad yet some days it feels like he is right there and understanding things clearly. I am always hungry for those moments.

I understand stress and I usually handle my stress quite well with all the usual strategies. Right now it feels like a heavy weight.

I know I am not alone so I guess I just wanted to feel connected to the community out there who understands.

Jenny 🙂
Hi Jenny @Seajade
Welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of empathetic carers to help, if you feel you need it, or to post which is cathartic (or at least I find that).
I'm a full time carer for my wife, but only being doing it for 6 years. We've been together for 56 years.
In the early stages, as my OH deteriorated, and stopped being able to do things, that she had always done, like you and many many others I started to grieve for my loss, even though my OH was sitting next to me.
The Dementia Hub in my area put me on to another charity, mostly funded by a grant from the Local Authority. I took up their offer of counselling - three one hour sessions - for my anticipatory grief. Although quite emotionally painful to go through, I found this helpful for me.
So, if you are coping with your stress in your situation with your dad, good for you, but it is not a weakness to turn to and seek help if you feel you need it, before the situation gets out of hand. I don't want to be or become a patient if I can help it.
Take time to look after yourself, with breaks or respite, so you can carry on caring for your dad.
Best wishes.

RuthE72

Aug 29, 2023
Hi, I'm new here, looking for advice and support. My 79 year old mother was earlier this year diagnosed with mild cognitive impairment, however she is getting worse with her memory,I have memory boards , keep notes in her diary , remind her every morning what she is doing that day etc...she has been, "forgetful" for many years previous but it seems to have been exacerbated when my father passed away four years ago. She moved house so she could be close to me as she also has a mobility issue and needs lots of support to do everyday things. We of course had lockdown literally three weeks after she moved into her new bungalow so she couldn't physically get out and about to meet new people or explore the neighbourhood. We are now at the point where she can get about with my support but is refusing to go to lunchclubs in the area I have found out about, one she has been to three times but doesn't want to go anymore and says she just doesnt want to go, there is also a singing group in the area which would suit her interests but again refused to go, she has told me to stop pushing her into doing things she doesn't want to do, I understand how important it is for her to get out and socalise but she isnt going anywhere at the moment she says she just wants to come to my house or go out with us if we go anywhere this can be awkward as I have a 10year old who is very active and understandably wants at weekends to do things which aren't what my mother would want to do. I then feel guilty if she isnt with me and she will then say shes fed up and hasnt been out of the bungalow for such a long time, then will cry and say she just misses dad which I understand but cant help but feel she isnt helping herself to join in these activities which are available. I wondered if anyone else has a similar situation and how theyve resolved it? Any help greatly appreciated.

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point @RuthE72. Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney? If you do you may be able to organise getting someone to come in to keep your mum company. Age UK provide a Help at Home service in some areas, or you might be able to find something local using this fact sheet.
It might also be worthwhile contacting your local social services and asking for a needs assessment for your mum and a carers assessment for you. SS are very stretched so it might take some time for them to set up a visit, specially if they think your mum is still managing OK with just you supporting her.
This is a very friendly and supportive site, when you're ready you might like to start your own thread on this forum I care for a person with dementia,

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @JSpil and welcome to our supportive and friendly community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. You can find out all sorts by reading and joining in with existing threads, perhaps start a thread yourself, raise issues and questions or let off steam. There is solace in sharing with others who really understand and empathise. You will get help from our members when you need it and plenty of good ideas too.

JSpil

Aug 30, 2023
Hi
Thank you I feel very lonely some days I have family but we live far away , two far to call in for a cuppa ..

Bronte_girl

Sep 1, 2023
Hello everyone. I am 29 and caring for my 73 year old dad with mixed dementia, along with the rest of my family.
Dad was diagnosed 3 years ago, but the signs were there a few years before. Dad has really declined in the past few months, especially after a month in respite this summer. We feel that we are now struggling to cope with dad at home, with the rest of the family needing to return to work, and mum being unable to cope with him on her own.
I think we especially would like advice on funding of care homes, when funds drop below 23K, and what happens to a person who is already in a care home being privately funded before this point. We are finding it very hard to know what to do for the best, and are finding social services are hard to pin down to an answer, and are very slow with the whole process.
Hope everyone else is well, it brings a small amount of comfort to know there are others out there going through the same problems as us right now. Take care xx

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @carollafferty
Sometimes it can be difficult to put your problems and concerns into words.
Do have a look around th forum - you may find a thread dealing with a similar scenario to you.
Whe you are ready, do tell us a bit more about yourself and your mum
xx

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hello everyone. I am 29 and caring for my 73 year old dad with mixed dementia, along with the rest of my family.
Dad was diagnosed 3 years ago, but the signs were there a few years before. Dad has really declined in the past few months, especially after a month in respite this summer. We feel that we are now struggling to cope with dad at home, with the rest of the family needing to return to work, and mum being unable to cope with him on her own.
I think we especially would like advice on funding of care homes, when funds drop below 23K, and what happens to a person who is already in a care home being privately funded before this point. We are finding it very hard to know what to do for the best, and are finding social services are hard to pin down to an answer, and are very slow with the whole process.
Hope everyone else is well, it brings a small amount of comfort to know there are others out there going through the same problems as us right now. Take care xx
Hi @Bronte_girl
Welcome to the talking point forum. There are lots of empathetic carers who with their own experiences will be able to help. Also have a look at the wealth of info on the Alz's Soc website.

Sorry to hear about the position with your dad, and especially if your mum can't cope with him on her own. The Local Authority Adult Social Services in your dad's area can, if requested, carry out a care assessment for your dad to see what help they think he needs. They can also, if requested, carry out a carer's assessment for your mum to see what help they think she needs.
A PWD usually doesn't accept there is anything wrong with them, and therefore, they don't need help and they often resist having carers in.
I started off caring for my wife, but when her instability and falls made life difficult, I had to get carers to come in. There are a lot of care providing companies, and an organisation called carechoices.co.uk that can research and report on the companies in your dad's area. If he is self funding because he has savings/assets etc (excluding the house your mum and dad live in) in excess of £23,250 then you can choose which ever care co you want for what ever care is required. Having two carers come in three times a day - you need two carers for any lifting, and makes life easier for organising washing, changing clothes, etc - is still half the cost of a care home. It really depends on what care is needed. Eg, does your dad need help with toileting in the day and/or at night, or is there any incontinence, for which the incontinence nurse can prescribe stuff that's needed,
In a care home situation - as you asked - where a PWD is self funding, then before the savings dwindle down to the first limit - £23,250 - you can apply to LA for help. If saving get below £14,500, LA pay all, and between the two limits there is a sliding scale where LA pay some and patient pays some. If your mum is over 60 and has a right to live in their house, then house is disregarded in the financial assessment.
When you get near the point of seeking financial help from LA you would need to speak with the care home. The LA have a limit to how much they will pay, and their level is less than the care would normally charge. So you need to know if the care home will accept what the LA will pay. Some say yes, but some care homes seek a top up from family, but family are not legally obliged to congtribute. If care home won't accept what LA will pay, then often the patient has to move to a care home that will accept what LA will pay - usually a move down market.

I hope that helps as a start.

Best wishes,

Est2005

Sep 4, 2023
Hello all, My father in law has been diagnosed with early onset about 7/8 months ago which my wife has essentially been left to deal with. FiL is denying it all claiming a selection of weird and wonderful ailments that apparently cause his issues, and not taking any meds for it. Her parents are divorced and her older sibling is burying his head in the sand and not any help. The local memory clinic have been a great help, but she needs more support and I want to be able to do that. I didn’t know this forum existed until today so hoping I might get some help to be able to help her. Thanks Rick

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @Est2005 and welcome, this is a friendly place with a lot of advice and support available so it's worth having a look around the various forums. If there is something specific that you'd like support with you could start a thread here: https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/forums/i-care-for-a-person-with-dementia.70/

Caring for someone with dementia is difficult so it's definitely a good idea to get as much support in place as you can. If extra help is needed with your FIL's care then it's worth applying for a care needs assessment with the local authority and they can also conduct a carer assessment for your wife (details in the link below).

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/legal-financial/dementia-care-needs-assessment

There may also be some support services/groups in your local area where you could meet others in a similar situation - see here:

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

There's a lot of shared experience here and people who understand so please ask away as there is always someone here who can provide suggestions if you need them or just listen if you need to put your thoughts down or even have a vent.

Status
Not open for further replies.