Safety concerns and agitation

SallyKat

Apr 3, 2017
Hello

My dad, 88, has dementia and lives alone. He has carers three times a day. Recently he’s left the house in his socks and walked round to the neighbours. He wears a falls alarm pendant. I’m concerned for his safety and interested to hear how others deal with keeping them inside their home? We have a camera by the door so can see he has left.

Also, his agitation, confusion, activity of walking around and night talking to himself and repeating ‘oh lord’ continuously is happening more regularly.

Is there such a thing as ‘anti agitation’ medication? Should I speak to the GP about prescribing something that may help to calm him. He appears to self soothe currently.

Thank you for reading 😊

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think it`s time for residential care @SallyKat Your dad is at risk now, not just of falls but of hypothermia if he goes out in this weather and is unable to find his way home.

My husband used to wander and it is amazing how quickly he could move when he was in this state of confusion.

I`m sorry if it`s not what you want to hear. Doctors do not like to prescribe anti anxiety meds because they increase the risk of falling.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @SallyKat I would agree with @Grannie G that once someone starts to wander it is time to consider residential care. You might also find it useful to register your dad at your local police station under the Herbert Protocol. The protocol is designed to help the police find someone with dementia if they do wander away. The form that I have attached is for the Met police but you would have to contact your local service.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I agree with others that it is time for residential care.
He wears a falls alarm pendant.
Note that unless this is using the mobile phone system it will not cause an alert if out of range of the base station.