Respite care

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
When my OH was first diagnosed with Alzheimer's some years ago, I was given a booklet from the LA, being a guide to care services and related info, with annual updates.

In this booklet it says the dementia support offered consists of (i) info and advice to support "living well" with dementia (GRRRR! - I now really hate that phrase), (ii) training for carers (one-to-one or online info sessions, which have in fact been quite good)), (iii) info about local dementia groups and activities (which we attended and were OK until my OH's deterioration took her beyond being able to participate), (iv) info on volunteer befrienders.

I wasn't told much else. In fact, Adult Social Services said, when they found out I would be a self funder, that you're on your own!!

It was the GP's practice nurse who told me about the charity Mind, and that they provide "sitters" for a carer to have respite and be able to go out, with confidence that PWD was with a competent professional. I approached Mind about this. Completed their form for info, and was put on their waiting list. Then, I got a call to say they could arrange a sitter to be with my OH for 3 hours - in one session -per week , at a time of my choosing. I chose 3 hrs each Wed morning, 9.30am to 12.30pm. After two sessions trial, all was well and I've had this for quite some while now. The system is that the LA pays Mind and the service is free to me.
I find this 3 hr session INVALUABLE. I can arrange a wide variety of things that need to be done out of the house - eg, my dentist appointments, doctor or hospital appointments (I have health issues too!), getting the car serviced, taking the lawn mower for service, shopping, meeting a friend for a chat and coffee, playing tennis with other old codgers like me. I really enjoy my Wed mornings, even if it's errands.

Then our sitter said they had been told that there would be some cut backs because of budgetary reasons. This didn't affect me, but meant that LA would not pay for as many new sitters as they had been paying. That was last year.

Now, I have received a letter from LA Adult Social Services giving me notice that from Oct they will now be charging the carers for this service on the usual means tested basis. The letter doesn't say anywhere what the charge is to be. So my choice is now to pay for my Wed morning respite or lose it.
There was no consultation (and technically, there doesn't have to be). I have written a letter of complaint to assuage my feelings, knowing my complaint won't change anything (and I hope it won't jeopardise my current position). I know that there are people less fortunate than me who won't be able to afford to pay to continue the service. I feel that "they" at the ASS don't understand the intensity, relentlessness, stressfulness, emotional impact, continuing tiredness, loneliness, etc, etc that 24/7 carers put in for their loved ones, at an enormous saving to the system (if they chose not to be cares), and how much having regular respite (even if for short time periods) is wanted, NEEDED, to retain sanity and to be able to keep going.

If you've read this far, thank you.
If it hasn't happened where you are, it may well be coming soon!

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Oh dear @Chizz, that is just awful. As you say we unpaid carers save the LA and government billions each year but that does not seem to matter to those in charge. You are lucky if you will still be able to pay for your respite break but I would imagine that there are many who would not be able to.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
So sorry @Chizz
Its such a terrible state of affairs.
I know in our area you used to be entitled to 12 weeks of respite calls like yours but that was also taken away….even before I had need of it. carers practice workers say they are embarrassed as there is nothing they can offer carers these days!

CC your complaint to your MP.

Have u pursued ur £300 carers GP payment? I recently got mine and could use it on respite if I chose to.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
So sorry @Chizz
Its such a terrible state of affairs.
I know in our area you used to be entitled to 12 weeks of respite calls like yours but that was also taken away….even before I had need of it. carers practice workers say they are embarrassed as there is nothing they can offer carers these days!

CC your complaint to your MP.

Have u pursued ur £300 carers GP payment? I recently got mine and could use it on respite if I chose to.
Thanks @sdmhred
I assume the GP carers payment is means tested - as everything seems to be - is that the case with you?
Sorry, you don't have to answer if you don't want to, I'm not trying to pry.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi @Chizz
No your‘e not prying at all. The beauty of this is it’s not income related 😀 I hadn’t applied until recently as I was under the same impression. A colleague who is also a carer nagged me to do it. It was very simple. I spoke to the GP who did a referral for me - the third party organisation then sent me the info and arranged bank transfer. I have to send them receipts and I can spend the money on anything except food, clothing and utility bills - the idea is to spend it on something to help u in ur caring role eg so for u it could be ur new respite bill, or ur tennis / bridge fees etc. I will probably use it for art materials or books which help me take my mind off things!

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi @Chizz
Ive been told I have a calendar year to spend mine! I’m so unused to spending money on me ( apart from essentials) these days it feels rather strange!!

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
In the 10 years I've been a carer, (due to bad stroke) I've only had one £300 payment. Even though its supposed to be a yearly thing.
My OH was diagnosed with early dementia in April and I was told I'd get another assessment for the £300. Still waiting!!!!!

Tomsamsmum

Apr 17, 2022
In the 10 years I've been a carer, (due to bad stroke) I've only had one £300 payment. Even though its supposed to be a yearly thing.
My OH was diagnosed with early dementia in April and I was told I'd get another assessment for the £300. Still waiting!!!!!
Hi I’ve never heard of this £300 .? Can anyone enlighten please

jackdog35

Aug 21, 2022
Nottingham
I’ve also never heard about the £300 although my dad does get free respite every other week which I hope doesn’t come to an end

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
In most areas where the Local Authority through their Adult Social Services deal with a carer's person budget or carer's direct payment, the applicant has to have a carer's assessment (to show they need help) and a financial assessment (to show they need public money). Thus income and/or savings can prevent an applicant (ie the carer) getting any money in this way.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
In most areas where the Local Authority through their Adult Social Services deal with a carer's person budget or carer's direct payment, the applicant has to have a carer's assessment (to show they need help) and a financial assessment (to show they need public money). Thus income and/or savings can prevent an applicant (ie the carer) getting any money in this way.
They need a carers assessment but it isn't means tested. So you don't need to provide any information of savings etc. At least it wasn't when I got mine.

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
They need a carers assessment but it isn't means tested. So you don't need to provide any information of savings etc. At least it wasn't when I got mine.
Thanks @jay6
In my borough carer's payments are means tested. So it's great if you can get yours without a means test.
Best wishes

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Thanks @jay6
In my borough carer's payments are means tested. So it's great if you can get yours without a means test.
Best wishes
Oh that's a shame. When I got mine. I was told it was an entitlement but as I said only ever got one, and that was about 6-7 years ago now so may have changed

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Oh that's a shame. When I got mine. I was told it was an entitlement but as I said only ever got one, and that was about 6-7 years ago now so may have changed
So @jay6 why not try again? Can't get without asking.