Refusal to see GP

Patricia61

Dec 12, 2023
Hi! My partner aged 83 has signs of dementia; the Practice Nurse asked him about his memory during his annual Diabetes review, and he was happy to discuss it with her, and acknowledged that he has problems, but he refused to make an appointment with a GP. I have supportive friends and family, and have picked up some very helpful advice from this is website, but I wondered if anyone else in this position? Thanks :)

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @Patricia61

We’ve had quite a few people who’ve had difficulty trying to get someone to make a GP appointment an one suggestion I see quite often is to a write to the GP outlining the problem and see if they’ll arrange a “well man” check up which sometimes gets the ball rolling.

Patricia61

Dec 12, 2023
Welcome to the forum @Patricia61

We’ve had quite a few people who’ve had difficulty trying to get someone to make a GP appointment an one suggestion I see quite often is to a write to the GP outlining the problem and see if they’ll arrange a “well man” check up which sometimes gets the ball rolling.
Hi, thank you for your reply :)
That's how I persuaded the Practice Nurse to ask about his memory at his diabetes review... she told me that if he didn't agree to a GP appointment there was nothing she or I could do, unless his symptoms got worse :(

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
she told me that if he didn't agree to a GP appointment there was nothing she or I could do, unless his symptoms got worse
Well thats true, but if you get him there by subterfuge, hes not refusing the appointment, is he? ;)

Id contact the GP anyway - it cant do any harm. And if you send in a letter/email outlining all your concerns, the GP will read it and it will go into your husbands records

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I piggybacked an appointment mum already had to get the ball rolling for a diagnosis. Things came rather unstuck as she refused to go to the memory clinic, but at least the surgery was well aware of what was happening and when she had a meltdown in reception one day arranged for a psychiatrist to come and see her at home.

Patricia61

Dec 12, 2023
Well thats true, but if you get him there by subterfuge, hes not refusing the appointment, is he? ;)

Id contact the GP anyway - it cant do any harm. And if you send in a letter/email outlining all your concerns, the GP will read it and it will go into your husbands records
I've already used subterfuge by persuading the Practice Nurse to ask him about his memory without letting on that it was at my request... they don't normally ask about memory at a Diabetes annual review... she noted my concerns on my partner's record... I'm hoping that at some point he'll agree to see the GP... our surgery sent letters to male patients over 65 last year, offering Well Man check-ups, but he wouldn't go to that either!

Patricia61

Dec 12, 2023
I piggybacked an appointment mum already had to get the ball rolling for a diagnosis. Things came rather unstuck as she refused to go to the memory clinic, but at least the surgery was well aware of what was happening and when she had a meltdown in reception one day arranged for a psychiatrist to come and see her at home.
Thank you - our surgery knows my concerns, so hopefully at some point things will "Move on"... meanwhile, I just have to try to be patient with him!

Patricia61

Dec 12, 2023
Thank you - our surgery knows my concerns, so hopefully at some point things will "Move on"... meanwhile, I just have to try to be patient with him!
Update - I shared my concerns with GP when I had an appointment for myself - GP has invited partner to a review of his recent routine blood tests - and will discuss his memory... fingers crossed!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Glad things are inching forward @Patricia61. If you haven't already I'd send the GP a bullet pointed list of your concerns. My mum was good at doing the sort of mini-memory tests that GPs usually do as it wasn't really her memory that was the problem at the time, more her logical reasoning. However with my list he asked her some questions about her neighbours which showed how askew her thinking had become.