Really struggling with visiting

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
mum barely opens her eyes and though yes sometimes I talk to her most of the time I just sit there holding and stroking her hand. I hope she feels me stroking and knows Im there xx
That's what I did with my mum and hope she knew I was there with her. Take care of yourself.
Karen

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
I'm going through a long hard journey with my dad. He's been fading for over 2 years now. He's in a nursing home near me but it's awful to see his deterioration and he's been close to death many times and in and out of hospital. It's still going on and is really taking it's toll on me and my health. I hope this doesn't go on too long for you or your lovely mum.
Karen
It really does wear you down doesn't it. Mom has deteriorated rapidly. Last 6 months at home were horrendous, she would ring me 20 times a day or more, refusing to eat or bathe. She was admitted to hospital in January still mobile, and since then she's just got worse daily. Its horrendous isn't itx

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
It really does wear you down doesn't it. Mom has deteriorated rapidly. Last 6 months at home were horrendous, she would ring me 20 times a day or more, refusing to eat or bathe. She was admitted to hospital in January still mobile, and since then she's just got worse daily. Its horrendous isn't itx
Yes, it is and not knowing how long it will last has such a detrimental effect on our health too. It's like a rollercoaster but it never ends.
Karen

Karen22

Nov 3, 2012
Dad has twice been in hospital for weeks at a time nearly dying but pulled through. I'm wondering if it will be the same this year as the last two years although the Home do seem to be managing his blood sugars better now so hopefully he won't get the awful infections he was getting. He was virtually on antibiotics full-time! Whilst he is more stable with his diabetes, he isn't as happy at this Home and his dementia has worsened due to the operation he had to have last year and the move I had to put him through.
Karen

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands
I am going through the same thing with my mum right now. I am so churned up inside & struggling to cope & we didn’t have that close a relationship but she is still my mum. My mum was still walking with a frame before she got into hospital & was determinedly shuffling around. This will be the 3rd day with the syringe driver. For 3 nights, I have got clothes out ready, just in case I get a phone call in the middle of the night. I’m worn out. I feel guilty for having thoughts about afterwards & then I think what if the drs are wrong xx

Whitey2000

Oct 19, 2018
I am going through the same thing with my mum right now. I am so churned up inside & struggling to cope & we didn’t have that close a relationship but she is still my mum. My mum was still walking with a frame before she got into hospital & was determinedly shuffling around. This will be the 3rd day with the syringe driver. For 3 nights, I have got clothes out ready, just in case I get a phone call in the middle of the night. I’m worn out. I feel guilty for having thoughts about afterwards & then I think what if the drs are wrong xx

Mom and I didn't always get on either but she was still my mom and I loved her, I understand totally how you feel, my situation is so similar, such a rapid deterioration. Mom died at 3.30 this morning, hospital rang at 3.18, I am glad because I know she would not have wanted me staring at her. Can't put into words how I feel xx

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Mom and I didn't always get on either but she was still my mom and I loved her, I understand totally how you feel, my situation is so similar, such a rapid deterioration. Mom died at 3.30 this morning, hospital rang at 3.18, I am glad because I know she would not have wanted me staring at her. Can't put into words how I feel xx

Please accept my condolences @Whitey2000 Let your mother rest in peace.

Allow yourself some time to breathe. You did what you could and I`m believe your mother will have known that.

I wasn`t on best terms with my mother either but I did what I could and she knew it too. On one visit when she was delirious with a temperature and didn`t know where she was, she looked at me and said `You always find me.`

Kikki21

Feb 27, 2016
East Midlands

Oh @Whitey2000 i am so sorry to hear this but at least you know your mum’s battle with dementia is now over. She is free & so are you. As you say, we were similar but she is still my mum.
My mum is still on the ward. To be honest, I have found that to be quite stressful a lot of the time. Yesterday especially afternoon where I was pretty irritable!
The poor lady to the left of my mum looks like she has had a stroke & breathes very, very loudly. Whether they had given her something for that I don’t know as she was very quiet yesterday evening. ( she was still alive) Then the lady to the right of my mum is very quiet but when her daughter visits, she literally talks non stop to her & I mean non stop. Between that if my mum is trying her best to talk, I can’t hear her & have to ask her to repeat herself. And she hasn’t got the energy.
Big hugs & love @Whitey2000 i don’t think I will be too far behind you xxx

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grandaughtercare