Problems with flu jabs

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Three weeks ago I had my yearly flu jab, and everything fell apart two days later, as I had a reaction to it, and really felt ill. I know that things have moved on as far as the illness is concerned, but this really made me wonder what was going on, and I though things were moving faster than ever.

When we went to the doctors about this, he said we would just have to let it take its course.

Last weekend we travelled to Plymouth for a planned weeks holiday with our daughter and grandchildren , which was also to take in our sons passing out parade in the Navy on the Friday.

The weather was cold and very wet, until the Friday when the Sun came out, and I felt a bit better.

But on the Wednesday while we were down there Janice had to ring the local doctors for an appointment, and it turned out the I had a chest infection. My wife knew that something was odd as I did not want to get up to see the family, and did not want to get a shave, or wash.

Its very strange, but this year I have heard from many who have had bad reactions to this flu jab, so I am wondering if they have changed it.

Loopiloo

May 10, 2010
Scotland
So sorry to read you had a reaction to the flu jab. Also that you later had a chest infection, and hope you are now feeling better.

I know this year it covered Swine flu, but don't know if this is the first year it has done so.

Loo x

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
Sorry to hear about the reaction to your flu jab.

I also felt awful for two weeks following my jab; with me it may have been that the shingles virus was still in my system although the nurses said it would not make any difference :confused::rolleyes:.

FifiMo

Feb 10, 2010
Wiltshire
Ken

Sorry to hear about your reaction to the flu jab. I was told that the flu jabs vary every year depending on which strains of flu are going around at that time. This could be why you react differently one year and not another.

Hope this helps reassure you,

Fiona

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I`m sorry to hear about your bad reaction too ken.

I had mine last week and so far just have a bit of an itchy arm which tells me the jab has been effective.

Dhiren has his soon and now I`m a little bit worried.

Nannybus

Dec 21, 2010
I had my jab three weeks ago, also, and felt very ill for a week. It was on top of a bout of shingles (10 weeks old by the time of the injection), but the nurse checked with the doctor and he said it was OK to get it done.

My own doctor said that she had felt poorly after having hers done too.

I shall make sure I am fully fit by the time the flu jabs come round next year, or forego the pleasure entirely.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
One of the worst problems was the head ache, as I felt as if my head was going to explode. But I hope no one else goes through that feeling

Ken

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I think if you are vulnerable to certain conditions, it`s where it hurts most. I seem to remember you are prone to bad heads Ken. My son is a migraine sufferer and gets a really bad head whenever he is below par.

sistermillicent

Jan 30, 2009
I am sorry you have been feeling unwell, and hope you feel better now. Swine flu was covered in last year's flu jab. They say the flu jab itself can't possibly make you ill and that if you are unwell after it is just coincidence.
Pippa

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
Efficacy and effectiveness of influenza vaccines: a systematic review and meta-analysis
Influenza vaccines can provide moderate protection against virologically confirmed influenza, but such protection is greatly reduced or absent in some seasons. Evidence for protection in adults aged 65 years or older is lacking. LAIVs consistently show highest efficacy in young children (aged 6 months to 7 years). New vaccines with improved clinical efficacy and effectiveness are needed to further reduce influenza-related morbidity and mortality.

The full text is at the link for people who enjoy trying to understand the science.

There is an alternative.
Correct vitamin D3 deficiency with EFFECTIVE amounts of Cholecalciferol vitamin D3. (not the stuff you get on prescription)
Vitamin D status has a linear association with seasonal infections and lung function in British adults.
Each 10 nmol/l increase in 25(OH)D was associated with a 7 % lower risk of infection
generally it takes roughly 5000iu/daily extra to get people from current deficiency status to 125~150nmol/l about a 100nmol/l increase which while not guaranteeing total immunity makes a lot of difference. I can't remember when I had my last bout of flu or a cold. same with UTI. If you've corrected the underlying poor immune function it makes all the difference. Has an impact on pain threshold at well.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
From what I heard yesterday, I must have already had a chest infection starting up and that was missed by my own GP, before I went on holiday. It apparently was nothing to do with the Flu jab.

I was also told that the flu jab changes every year with new variations being included, including swine flu, something I refused to have last year as I had heard to many people complain about complications.

Ken

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyandJean