Prices of Care Homes for Elderly People With Alzheimer's

Jazzguitar

Mar 2, 2016
Are very high. My Mother has to pay £600 per week. And had to sell her home to pay for here Care. She is in a Care Home in Berkshire. The staff and Managers do not reply to my letters, emails asking how she is. I think that's terrible. I have contacted the Care Quality Commission about this. From her son in Devon:mad: .

Last edited by a moderator:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I'm not in the UK, Jazzguitar, but I know from reading on here that costs of care vary quite a bit depending on area. However, £600 would definitely be at the very lower end, I would think. I know there are people paying over £1,000.

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Actually, Jazzguitar, £600 is very cheap. OH was paying £860 over two years ago. Prices can increase yearly by up to 10%. Many places in London and the SE are much more expensive. I assume this is just a care home, not one dedicated to dementia patients.
As I live close to late OHs carehome, I never had to phone/email them. But yes, I think it's bad form not to answer emails. Not sure what you do about it though!

Pete R

Jul 26, 2014
Staffs
Are very high. My Mother has to pay £600 per week. And had to sell her home to pay for here Care. She is in a Care Home in Berkshire. The staff and Managers do not reply to my letters, emails asking how she is. I think that's terrible. I have contacted the Care Quality Commission about this. From her son in Devon:mad: .
https://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/showthread.php?94062-Care-home-not-responding
In your previous thread you say you had contacted CQC and they had given you another phone number. Did you call?

As asked before why have you not visited your Mother to see how she is? Is there an underlying reason for the Care Home not to reply to you?