Power of Attorney - Grandson

OliverGeorge

Jan 16, 2024
Hello,

My Grandmother has been suffering from Dementia for around 5 years now and reside in a care home. My mother had arrange POA with her prior to my Grandmother's Dementia degrading to the very advanced state now.

Tragically, my mother passed away 3-years ago during the COVID-19 pandemic unexpectedly. I am now the next of kin for my Grandmother and manage her affairs and care via the home.

However, I am unable to access and help manage her financial affairs as the banks are refusing to speak to me as I do not have POA for my Grandmother. I am unclear what to do to as POA ended with my late mother. I have had some issues with payment from my Grandmother's state pension (which is paid into her bank account directly) to the care home and subsequently I am unable to access to try and resolve the issue.

Any advice and recommendation on what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hello @OliverGeorge and welcome to the forum

Im so sorry to hear about your mum, that must have been a shock.

Im assuming that your grandmother no longer has capacity to do a new POA naming you as attorney. In this case what you have to do is apply to the Court of Protection for deputyship. It is very expensive to go through a solicitor, but I applied for deputyship myself and although its a faff and there is a fair bit of paper shuffling, I found it doable.