Power of Attorney - Error

Starfish21

Oct 6, 2023
Hi. Can anybody help please. My brother and I have just been set up as joint POA for my parents. Its just come to my notice that I am down on the forms as Mrs instead of Miss. Does this mean we have to cancel the POA's and have them redone? I'm so scared as the cost for that is £371 to cancel each one and then another £82 for the new ones.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, I would ask what was put on the application form, if you ticked the wrong box...however if it was all filled in correctly and they made the mistake then tell them so.
In this day and age why isn't Ms the equivalency of Mr, why is your marital status disclosable as a woman where as a man mine isnt.

Rayreadynow

Dec 31, 2023
I would think as long as your full name is correct then that would be the key piece of information that anyone would need to know.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Is the error on both the donor's choice and attorney's statement.

I think if you notify the OPG they will provide document confirming the change FOC, incorrect DOB is proved by copy of birth certificate, they would just have to acknowledge your request to change your title.

In practise your title is unlikely to be shown on any ID you use when using the LPA, you could simply not notice the error.

It's your decision what you do, I know what I would do,

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
In practise your title is unlikely to be shown on any ID you use when using the LPA, you could simply not notice the error.
My photo driving licence shows Mrs whereas my passport is silent so would need to use passport.

Some of my address proof items include Mrs and some don't.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Proving or asking for a woman's marital status where a men just puts Mr as opposed to Mrs Ms, or Miss is just a bit sexist isn't it. K

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
I notified the OPG of a change of address for the donor and an attorney. They said that they can't legally change the addresses or anything else on a LPA a it's a legal document. But ..it is noted on their records. So if the code is being used the organisation viewing will see the note.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Actually you can call yourself whatever you want as long as it's not for illegal purposes. I got called Mrs ..all the time at school but I'm not married! Others called Ms and were married. Not sure it will be that important. Just say when you register that you prefer Ms

OP has just set up LPA so code will be available. Just notify by email the error and ask for record to be noted if it bothers you

Last edited:

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
The problem will be some officious person checking and claiming it matters, don't give them any reason to query.

Starfish21

Oct 6, 2023
Hi Everyone. Thank you so much for all your replies. Really helpful.

In case this ever comes up for somebody else, I called the Office of the Public Guardian and they were able to make a note that I am a Miss and not a Mrs on their system. Your social title does not matter. So all is sorted out now.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Linzi66