Poor Advice been given on Driving

LWP

Jun 28, 2023
HI,
My Dad was diagnosed with 'early mild dementia of an alzheimers type' in early July.
Apparently he was advised by his consultant to apply for a driving assessment and not to tell the DVLA as they would take his licence away. This was according to what my mum relayed to me. She was at the appointment too.
I have since learnt this was incorrect advice and he should have told the DVLA immediately and they would decide whether he needed an assessment or not.
My dad filled in a driving assessment form and sent off a payment of £75. Today he has been contacted to say the assessment is next week.
The issue being that, we only contacted the DVLA last week when we realised that he needed to; the forms have been sent to him and need to be returned to the DVLA by 7 Sept. All the information I have read, says that he may be advised that he doesn't need a test and if he does need a test the DVLA will pay for it.
I just need help in clarifying whether what I have read is correct and what to do about the incorrect advice he has been given. One they were made to feel scared about having his licence taken away and two he's paid £75 for a test he may not be required to take.
Any advice on how to deal with this situation would be gladly received.
Thank you

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Hi @LWP

I’ve not been faced with this as my dad stopped driving shortly after his diagnosis but hopefully someone else will be able to advise.

If it was me I would be writing to the DVLA explaining the situation and ask for a refund of the £75.

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
It's understandable that your parents are worried about your Dad's licence being taken away and that worry is well-founded as some people are required to give up driving straight away without any driving assessment and others have to have a driving assessment which determines whether they are still fit to drive or not. By law you must report a dementia diagnosis to both the DVLA and the insurance company. I would explain the situation to the DVLA and ask for a refund.

It's possible that your Dad will be allowed to continue driving for a while but it's for the DVLA to decide.

LWP

Jun 28, 2023
Hi @LWP

I’ve not been faced with this as my dad stopped driving shortly after his diagnosis but hopefully someone else will be able to advise.

If it was me I would be writing to the DVLA explaining the situation and ask for a refund of the £75.
Hi,
Thank you.
Dad is taking the test before his DVLA forms are due in so I could send the invoice with them. Fingers crossed for a positive outcome.
Think I'm more nervous for him than he is. Just want all this initial stage to go away and life get back to the gentle jog along haha.

LWP

Jun 28, 2023
Do you have any concerns about his driving?
If so, it might be better to go for the assessment anyway
Hi,
No concerns about his driving. My husband has been out with him too.
He only goes within a 30 minute radius of his home and doesn't drive in the dark.
He's having the assessment.
I think I'm more upset by the wrong advice being given by a professional who should have known better. Generally people go into this situation without knowing too much what to do or where to turn, we rely on these people to help us.
I have had such great support from other societies I have contacted such as on here.

LWP

Jun 28, 2023
It's understandable that your parents are worried about your Dad's licence being taken away and that worry is well-founded as some people are required to give up driving straight away without any driving assessment and others have to have a driving assessment which determines whether they are still fit to drive or not. By law you must report a dementia diagnosis to both the DVLA and the insurance company. I would explain the situation to the DVLA and ask for a refund.

It's possible that your Dad will be allowed to continue driving for a while but it's for the DVLA to decide.
Hi,
Yes, I agree it should have been left to the DVLA to decide. He really isn't far down the dementia line currently.
I'm just sad that being wrongly advised regarding letting the DVLA know has caused so much extra stress at an already overwhelming time.