Paying a family member for care

Sweetiepie77

Feb 13, 2018
The person I am talking about was in receipt of GCP first then applied for CA and got that without question.
They only class a benefit as an underlying entitlement, that's a question that's already been asked.

Sweetiepie77

Feb 13, 2018
Yes, and they said I don't have an underlying entitlement. Which is why I can't understand why I have been disallowed.

Katykartweel

May 5, 2020
I am currently in receipt of gratuitous care payments. I recently applied for Cares allowant and was disallowed and they said it was classed as an income. I have been tax cleared and it is not classed as an employment. If possible coukd anyone shed some light onto why I have been disallowed carers benefit.
Thanks in advance :)
Hi Sweetiepie77
I want to apply for GCP and am desperately seeking to hear experiences of others who’ve been successful. Would I be able to pick your brains please??

Katykartweel

May 5, 2020
Here's a quote from the website of a leading law firm, I won't mention the name and will confess an interest that a friend of mine works for them, so I pay her for advise in Bacardi and Coke (other brands of white rum and cola based currency are available);
"where support is provided by family members it is possible to arrange a gratuitous care payment in certain circumstances. This would be relevant where the family member does not intend to enter into an employed role but provides a large degree of support to the client. The are treated as being exempt for tax and national insurances purposes provided an application is made to the HMRC for approval. We can support you with this process and have already supported numerous clients in this regard with great success"
Make of it what you will, I posted link to case law earlier and the importance of the phrase "gratuitous care payments" as being the correct description not a "wage" or similar wording although it amounts to the same thing.
I'll invest some more Bacardi pounds and see if I can find out what exactly the "it is possible to arrange a gratuitous care payment in certain circumstances" bit means,, is certain circumstance just a way of saying we won't tell you anymore without getting some money out of you, who knows, I'll risk a hangover to find out.
K
HI Kevinl
Thank you for all your posts about GCP - I’ve read them all and am now hoping to get some specific advice about my own situation and an application for GCP. You’ve explained the forms, but is there anywhere I could get further advice from please, or anyone else who has been through this experience? Thank you.