1. Shedrech

Shedrech Volunteer Moderator

Dec 15, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Hello Mulberry50
    Welcome to TP - the forum provides a wealth of experience and support.
    Thanks for an interesting and thoughtful first post.
    The first of many, hopefully.

2. Scarlett123

Scarlett123 Registered User

Apr 30, 2013
    Essex
    A warm welcome from me too, to TP. :) You'll make loads of new lovely friends, who will help to support you, and who understand completely.

3. Casbow

Casbow Registered User

Sep 3, 2013
    Colchester
    Scarlett123

Scarlett123 you are amazing and wonderful at explaining things to people. You would be wonderful as an advisor for Alzheimers society (although I suppose you are doing that now.) But you have been through so much and I have so much admiration for you and know that your husband was a very lucky man to have had you to help him. On the subject of helping our partners fill in the words, that can't happen with us as I can't understand what on earth he is going on about. His conversations make little or no sense. So I can't offer words to help him. love to you all.x

4. hodge

hodge Registered User

Feb 26, 2013
    walsall
    complete empathy

Hello Morganlefey

I have just read your post and everything you have said could be me. My husband was diagnosed three years ago and he is in complete denial even sympathising with people whose loved ones are diagnosed with AD when he sees it on TV and saying what a dreadful illness it must be. My patience is tested to the absolute limit and he is dreadfully slow in all his daily tasks beginning with a shower in the morning, etc which takes almost two hours. I can fortunately leave him alone for a while at the moment, so I get our shopping done whilst he is showering, or otherwise if we went together it would take all day. He also likes to do the things he wants to do and I also feel my own life is seeping away, I am 63, he is 74 on Christmas day, and my long awaited retirement is none existent, I can't even have a break for a holiday as he would never agree to respite and a holiday together just the two of us would be too stressful. We have no children and I have no support whatsoever, emotionally or practically. It is an uphill struggle every day and no end in sight, only that things are going to get so much worse and I don't know how I am going to cope. I also suffer from depression and find it hard to get out of bed somedays. I do have a bedroom on my own thank goodness, it is my only sanctuary or I think I would have given up on life by now. I also feel selfish in thinking that my life is slipping away, but I can't help the way I feel.

It helps to know that we are not alone, that there are others who understand these feelings as they are also going through the same awful process.

5. lizzybean

lizzybean Registered User

Feb 3, 2014
    Lancashire
    Oh gosh! You've made me cry now.

6. esmeralda

esmeralda Registered User

Nov 27, 2014
    Devon
    Had to laugh at the iPod story Morgan. It is very hard to cope with change and I find every new 'stage' is difficult then eventually I adjust. I do fill in words if my husband is struggling, but more difficult is when he wants to communicate something and although he starts the sentence alright. Eg 'There's something I need to discuss with you' he then just keeps repeating that sentence but we never get to what he wants to discuss which is very frustrating for him. If he can't get to the point, and really, he never does, after three or four goes I distract him with something else, or say, 'Oh, it'll come back to you later'. He seems quite happy with that. It makes me very sad that he can't communicate though.

Try not to think too far ahead. This disease is so unpredictable, you don't know how things will go, maybe not as bad as you fear, but trust that you will have the resources to cope with it whatever, and there will always be somebody here to offer support and a hug.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

7. Diz

Diz Registered User

Nov 10, 2011
    this has just made me LOL !!! Keep these stories coming... they are fantastic!