Our magic bitter sweet moments 🥰🥰🥰

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
So we remain in limbo land. The resus doctor thought she would go quickly last night, but here we are. Palliative care think it could be any time up to a few days. I’ve decided to crack on with her journey back from Malaysia - we hadn’t done much due to the sport on TV.

My heart is breaking that I won’t see her lovely smile again - but deep down she had quality of life until yesterday evening- and with dementia that is a blessing I hold on to 🥰🥰🥰

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
So we remain in limbo land. The resus doctor thought she would go quickly last night, but here we are. Palliative care think it could be any time up to a few days. I’ve decided to crack on with her journey back from Malaysia - we hadn’t done much due to the sport on TV.

My heart is breaking that I won’t see her lovely smile again - but deep down she had quality of life until yesterday evening- and with dementia that is a blessing I hold on to 🥰🥰🥰
it must be awful in limbo land. she had a great quality of life due to you. i know i sat with my nan when she was eol. you are always on alert although i actually missed her left breath as i was reading a book at her bedside and she didnt make any noise.
look after yourself as well. lets hope its a peaceful end.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thank you Jennifer your words are very kind 🥰🥰

I was anxious to finish off mum‘s journey so I have finished reading her the diary of her travels - it feels fitting.

And since they wanted to offer someone a meal even though they can no longer swallow - we took it! And I have to say it was tasty

At midnight we reach the 3rd anniversary of my Dads death - how bizarre is that.

Weve just asked for some meds to help laboured breathing and now she’s much more peaceful

Attachments

• 946A6A52-2551-4DF6-874C-3E166B3FB796.jpeg
    946A6A52-2551-4DF6-874C-3E166B3FB796.jpeg
    228.3 KB · Views: 36
  • 601E8092-84A1-45C2-B2A1-4DCC3F0CEEA3.jpeg
    601E8092-84A1-45C2-B2A1-4DCC3F0CEEA3.jpeg
    359.7 KB · Views: 37

notsogooddtr

Jul 2, 2011

A blessing indeed.Thoughts and prayers for your Mum your sister and you

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
We’re still here. She’s been comfortable all day….and only a bit of groaning when moved for personal or oral care.

Ive discovered some rural walks not far from the hospital and have had waves of aching grief…..she had been so physically stable the past few months I was beginning to think she was in it for the long haul. But with just a bit of space to reflect she had become so very disabled - you don’t see it when ur in it and manically managing each day. Definately a good time for her to go.

I just write this down before I forget. I called my sister very briefly when they were together Wednesday lunchtime. I said bye to mum and that I would see her later….in getting her words confused she didn’t say ‘bye’…but she said ‘thank you’….that is the last thing she ever said to me 🥰🥰🥰🥰 what a bittersweet magic moment is that 🥰🥰🥰

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
We’re still here. She’s been comfortable all day….and only a bit of groaning when moved for personal or oral care.

Ive discovered some rural walks not far from the hospital and have had waves of aching grief…..she had been so physically stable the past few months I was beginning to think she was in it for the long haul. But with just a bit of space to reflect she had become so very disabled - you don’t see it when ur in it and manically managing each day. Definately a good time for her to go.

I just write this down before I forget. I called my sister very briefly when they were together Wednesday lunchtime. I said bye to mum and that I would see her later….in getting her words confused she didn’t say ‘bye’…but she said ‘thank you’….that is the last thing she ever said to me 🥰🥰🥰🥰 what a bittersweet magic moment is that 🥰🥰🥰
its good you are having a walk as a break. it gets very intense. thinking of you going through this and hope she is comfortable. dont forget to eat

McSuffolk

Feb 12, 2023
@sdmhred Sorry to hear about the turn that your mum has taken and just wanted to wish you strength and peace at this time. Since joining this forum I have been humbled, warmed and entertained by reading about the level of care and love you have given to your mum and the fun you have brought along the way. Love and light to you 🫶

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
I've been away, and only just catching up with your news @sdmhred. The second to last time I saw my mother, before her sudden decline I said 'I love you' as I left and she said 'I love you too' in reply. By that time she didn't really say much that made sense so it felt very special. Hold onto that Thank You.
Thinking of you, your family and your lovely mum.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Thank you all so much for your supportive thoughts, words and prayers. It really does help. This is the place where people have trod these footsteps before us and I have learned from those experiences.

Theres not been much change today. We’re just about to give her some medication for the night. The palliative care team pop in each day to oversee and we’ve seen a lovely chaplain twice too. We’re just being here and hanging out as I did at the nursing home. I continue to care and help where I can. It feels very ordinary in a bizarre way. There’s nothing special to say or do - for me that’s been done in the past few years. I’ve told her we had a blast!

My main break for the day was to spend a couple of hours with my SIL and niece which was lovely. I also had a gander around the nearby church but didn’t stay for the handbell ringers concert….although the lady in the shop said the rehearsal had actually sounded quite orchestra….oh and also been paying all her bills whilst i still have the POA….