Ongoing funding

Confused.co.uk

Jun 30, 2024
My Mom is currently in a care home and has Alzheimers disease. She has been resident there for just over 4 years. Her current fees are £1350 per week. We sold her house when she first moved into the home for £196,000 and she had savings of around £40,000. All of this money (except for the £23,250 minimum threshold) £210,750 will run out in December this year. Will I be required to pay anything towards the future care fees for my Mom.

backin

Feb 6, 2024
First thing to do is speak to the care home now.
They may accept ss rates or they may argue it would be detrimental to your mum to move her and argue with ss with you.

You also need to make ss aware

thistlejak

Jun 6, 2020
One thing to remember YOU don't have to pay anything - when your mum gets near to the LA upper level a financial assessment will need to be done and they will take her pensions and savings into consideration and tell you how much she will have to contribute towards her care. You can be asked to provide a 'third party top-up' but you don't have to pay this - then as @backin says you might need to negotiate with the care home to accept the LA rate or with the LA to pay more.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
With 4½ of self funding the care home may accept the LA rate, several people make this kind of arrangement on entry.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
No, you absolutely will not be required to pay anything yourself.

My mother was self funding in her care home for several years, and her funds got down to the £23k threshold last year. During the financial assessment Social Services asked if I could provide a top-up, I said no and that was the end of the matter. The local authority now pay her fees (with her pension is taken towards them), and my mother is still in her original care home.

When the time comes, you contact Social Services and fill out the forms (I did this via an online assessment tool they sent me). You then have no further input. The negotiation of the level of fees happens between the care home and the local authority.

When her funds were getting near the threshold, I went into the care home and spoke to the Financial Director and he explained to me how it worked, and I kept him updated with any contact I had with Social Services.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Debby Duplex