Need advice

GINGY 53

Mar 12, 2022
My mother has alzhiemers she went in a home temporarily on 29th December and it was decided on 9.2.2024 that she would stay in there permanently. My mum lived in rented property housing association a few weeks ago I was told there was a 4 week notice period which is fair enough gives me time to empty and sort out the property although my mother is under the savings threshold with her 2 pensions she has to pay towards her care 1532.00 a month. Housing association is saying the home says there is an 8 week probationary period with the care home so I am not allowed to give notice until that is up. Then it's a 4 week notice with housing association my mum is currently paying full rent is there any one I can contact

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello @GINGY 53 . Yes, do ring the support line for advice on this one. I wouldn't like to advise myself.
I hope you are happy, and that also your mother is settled in her new care home environment. At least you know she is safe and well cared for.

yoy

Jun 19, 2022
When mum went into her care home I had the same - 4 weeks notice for council house but 8 weeks for the home. I asked the care home manager about it and she said it would be fine, don't worry about it, mum will fit in fine etc. So it might be worth just asking them if 4 weeks will suffice because of the situation you have, although I appreciate that everywhere is different.

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I don’t think it sounds as if it’s any business of the HA your mum’s current situation! If she has a probation period in the care home and that doesn’t work out it sounds like she would need a different care home rather than going back to her previous place???

i would definitely get some advice….the one month notice seems much more usual.