1. Expert Q&A: Protecting a person with dementia from financial abuse - Weds 26 June, 3:30-4:30 pm

Financial abuse can have serious consequences for a person with dementia. Find out how to protect a person with dementia from financial abuse.

Sam, our Knowledge Officer (Legal and Welfare Rights) is our expert on this topic. She will be here to answer your questions on Wednesday 26 June between 3:30 - 4:30 pm.

You can either post questions >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll answer as many as we can on the day.

One of the attorneys has died on a Enduring Power of Attorney..should we do anything?

Discussion in 'Legal and financial issues' started by phils, Jan 7, 2015.

1. phils

phils Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    My Mother has now had dementia for quite a few years. All of children has had Power of Attorney. Sadly one of my sisters died last Friday. Does this change the situation for the Power of Attorney? Do we need to inform the office of public Guardian?

Sorry to bother people on such a simple question, but I thought that I should investigate this sooner rather then later and I could not find anything when I searched.

Thank You

2. 2jays

2jays Registered User

Jun 4, 2010
    West Midlands
    Sorry to hear.

My thoughts, but I think it would be good to contact OPG..

If poa held that all had to agree (jointly I thinks it's called) before things could be done, then I think it's now invalid. BUT if it's held that any one of you can make a decision without others (jointly and severally) then all you need to do is inform OPG and send a copy of death certificate. You also have to have a copy of their death certificate when dealing with banks etc

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

3. phils

phils Registered User

Jan 7, 2015
    Solved

Thank You 2jays. It is (jointly and severally). I have confirmed this with the OPG(Office of the Public Guardian). I will send the OPG the death certificate and the original Power of Attorney and they will update it and return it to me.

Thank You so much for your help.