One of the attorneys has died on a Enduring Power of Attorney..should we do anything?

phils

Jan 7, 2015
My Mother has now had dementia for quite a few years. All of children has had Power of Attorney. Sadly one of my sisters died last Friday. Does this change the situation for the Power of Attorney? Do we need to inform the office of public Guardian?

Sorry to bother people on such a simple question, but I thought that I should investigate this sooner rather then later and I could not find anything when I searched.

Thank You

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry to hear.

My thoughts, but I think it would be good to contact OPG..

If poa held that all had to agree (jointly I thinks it's called) before things could be done, then I think it's now invalid. BUT if it's held that any one of you can make a decision without others (jointly and severally) then all you need to do is inform OPG and send a copy of death certificate. You also have to have a copy of their death certificate when dealing with banks etc

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

phils

Jan 7, 2015
Solved

Thank You 2jays. It is (jointly and severally). I have confirmed this with the OPG(Office of the Public Guardian). I will send the OPG the death certificate and the original Power of Attorney and they will update it and return it to me.

Thank You so much for your help.