One day at a time

Murray Evans

Nov 14, 2023
Hi, my partner has now been diagnosed with alzheimers following a change in his cognitive function. Previously diagnosed with depressive cognitive deficit. Just had another angry episode from him refusing to believe I'd fed the dogs, he's now gone to bed refusing to take his medication. I cope by taking one day at a time as tomorrow he will have forgotten this tantrum.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Murray Evans

Well done for recognising one day at a time is the way to go.

Are you finding evenings are the worst when your husband is tired and more confused?

Chizz

Jan 10, 2023
Kent
Hi @Murray Evans
You said " I cope by taking one day at a time as tomorrow he will have forgotten this tantrum."

It's the only way. Tomorrow is another day, and it's already on its way.

Murray Evans

Nov 14, 2023
Welcome @Murray Evans

Well done for recognising one day at a time is the way to go.

Are you finding evenings are the worst when your husband is tired and more confused?
Not really, he can be like this anytime. He tends to forget why he's angry/upset but still feels the emotion. He's even asked me why he's upset which is strange when I reply he's upset with me. Tomorrow it'll be back to normal until something else causes concern.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @Murray Evans Your partner’s ’tantrum’ could be caused by anxiety. It might be useful to discuss this issue with their GP to see if some medication might help.

Murray Evans

Nov 14, 2023
Thanks, things have improved with a combination of antidepressants from the GP and mental health services, there are still a few triggers though that provoke these episodes.

SMVsupport

Dec 7, 2023
Not really, he can be like this anytime. He tends to forget why he's angry/upset but still feels the emotion. He's even asked me why he's upset which is strange when I reply he's upset with me. Tomorrow it'll be back to normal until something else causes concern.
This is happening with my mum, I understand the fear she has due to her lack of understanding but it’s very difficult on the family member facing this, which is normally me.