Oh brother

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Damned if you do and damned if you don’t!

Hope you managed to put your feet up and that your mum makes a speedy recovery from her fall.

My feet went up and I even managed to get a 45 minute nap, but mum's feet, well she just kept on wandering around. Apart from a horrible bruise on her face and hand, she is fine. she had some pain killer and about to have some more. She is now sitting on the sofa and I would like to say comfy with her dog!

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
One chair and one dining table, that's it, that's all that is left in my dining room! Over the last couple of weeks I have removed one at a time for various reasons. Found mum trying to put one on the window sill so removed it and then a few days later she was trying to load the remainder up on the table. Today with only 2 chairs in there, I caught her trying to put one over the half door in to the kitchen area. Had she succeeded it would have landed in a cat basket with probably a cat in it! So that's it, only one chair in there and I cannot imagine what she will do with this one, have to wait and see. Just as well I don't do much entertaining these days, but when I do I shall get my guests to bring in a chair each from various places in my house, they will have to work for their supper!

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Going for the minimalistic look then! Let’s hope you don’t have to end up relocating the table...not quite as easy as a chair.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Going for the minimalistic look then! Let’s hope you don’t have to end up relocating the table...not quite as easy as a chair.

Could not leave a table in there on its own, too minimal and lets face it, it would just look odd! Was just thinking the same about it. There is a small Welsh dresser in there, but is now completely empty.

In the weird world of Dementia I actually think she is trying to get into the kitchen, but this can no longer happen, too dangerous in there for her. So we just sit and wait till the day I hear the table being dragged over and I stop her climbing on to it and over she goes.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Don’t leave a broom around...she might try pole vaulting :eek:

Oh my god - won't do that! Thankfully all cleaning tools etc are through the kitchen, where mum is not allowed. About a year ago when it was still safe to do and would be a chore that mum could do, I left a full bucket of water and mop in hallway. When I went in there I found she had poured all the water on to the floor - nightmare!

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Oh @Tin, your Mums strength amazes me every time.
It reads like a game of musical chairs.
My Mum continues to empty wardrobes and sort items for washing, I then have no idea what is clean in the washing basket, because it is part of the routine to mix everything up.
Hope you are well. X

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My Mum continues to empty wardrobes and sort items for washing, I then have no idea what is clean in the washing basket, because it is part of the routine to mix everything up.
Hope you are well. X

Am well DollyBird and pleased the day is over, mum went to bed at 9.30 p.m. More like a scene out of the film Poltergeist because no way could my little mother lift 3 chairs and place them on the table!.

She has been very fidgety today, touching and stroking everything she walked by and finally putting some of her books to bed, placed neatly on the pillow and covered with the duvet.

I remember so well the time my mum sorted the laundry! She would empty her drawers, but never remove anything from the laundry basket that was in the corner of her room. In the end I had to remove a lot from wardrobe and drawers, thinking the less I had to sort and put away the better. She does still do a version of this, but these days clothes are placed in her bed and sometimes a coat sits on an armchair as if someone is wearing it.

DollyBird16

Sep 5, 2017
Greater London
Arrived at Mums tonight, washing basket full. I said that’s a lot. I didn’t ask how it had got so full, given she told me during a phone call earlier in the day she’d spent the morning washing and ironing o_O Bless her, what she would probably give to have done just that. I take comfort in she doesn’t know.
Couple of more negative moments this week, Mum rambled complete nonsense, yes she normally talks about the delusions but I’ve not heard her just talk nonsense and not make sense. I know she forgets words and things but could not recall where she had been 3 hours previous. Oh so sad.
Has been matched by a few highs, much laughter watching a video clip, dancing and singing with me, offering and helping sort evening snack and managed to distract really quickly from delusions chat.
Sorry self indulgence there.

Working at home tomorrow, I’m going to pack up as soon as I’ve done the critical stuff, fingers crossed boss is in a good mood and agrees with my plan.

Have a good weekend. x

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Not knowing what she does is a strange comfort to me. Hope boss falls in with your plan.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
I think the lack of awareness, when it eventually comes for our pwd's, is the only small comfort any of us have, sadly. I actively wished for the decline that would take awareness of her situation and behaviour away from Mil. The level of her distress over incontinence, over struggling to do simple tasks or of suddenly realisising that she had said or done something 'stupid' (her words) or unpleasant or dangerous, was just so heartbreaking. I am so thankful that now, she has no realisation that she is sitting there, minus her dentures, often having spilt food down her clothes, doubly incontinent and - especially - no recognition of how unpleasant and strange her behaviour is. At the same time, though, it makes me so sad x

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
I think the lack of awareness, when it eventually comes for our pwd's, is the only small comfort any of us have, sadly. I actively wished for the decline that would take awareness of her situation and behaviour away from Mil. The level of her distress over incontinence, over struggling to do simple tasks or of suddenly realisising that she had said or done something 'stupid' (her words) or unpleasant or dangerous, was just so heartbreaking. I am so thankful that now, she has no realisation that she is sitting there, minus her dentures, often having spilt food down her clothes, doubly incontinent and - especially - no recognition of how unpleasant and strange her behaviour is. At the same time, though, it makes me so sad x

I so agree.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Hope you are well. X

It is amazing how they find the strength to do things when they are on a mission. Today I found a serving slab of marble in mums room that she had obviously found during one of her poke around moments. It was tucked down the side of a cupboard where I thought it was out of the way. Silly me! It weighs a fair bit and she has managed to pick it up and carry it to her domain. How, I don’t know. She can’t stand straight, has poor mobility and little apparent muscle strength. It’s now return from whence it came without a word.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
It is amazing how they find the strength to do things when they are on a mission. Today I found a serving slab of marble in mums room that she had obviously found during one of her poke around moments. It was tucked down the side of a cupboard where I thought it was out of the way. Silly me! It weighs a fair bit and she has managed to pick it up and carry it to her domain. How, I don’t know. She can’t stand straight, has poor mobility and little apparent muscle strength. It’s now return from whence it came without a word.

Lets hope she does not become fixated on the slab and digs it out again tomorrow!

I have the beginnings of a cold, headache and sneezing, also feeling very tired for most of the day. Could not find the energy to take mum out this morning so apart from pottering and keeping house tidy, I have been laying and snoozing on the sofa a lot. Fortunately mum has been calm and brother visiting tomorrow, so I will not need to take her out at all this weekend.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
Oh no, poor you, not what you need. Sending a get well ((hug)).

Maybe go for a lie down when brother arrives.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Often read on here how everyone has there own limits before considering a care home and I think for the future I may have found my line in the sand. Last year I noted a posting from a gentleman that had sadly come to the end of his caring and had reluctantly found a care home for his wife, the continual moving things around their home and now I completely understand. Mum just picks things up and puts down anywhere, the dog and cat baskets get filled up with books. The sofa has Domino pieces spread over it and so much more. The one chair in the dining room is now being used for, I think, a way to get into the kitchen, I keep finding it in front of the half kitchen door. She has broken or destroyed so many things and I have padlocks and gaffer tape on most cupboards to keep her out. Now all of this is not new, its been going on for some time, but just sometimes it really gets me down, especially when I consider just how much I do to keep her entertained, out every day for a few hours, plus lots of activity things in the house but these 'things' no longer amuse or feed her need to fiddle. At this very moment she has taken a liking to hallway radiator, whether she thinks something is down the back or just wants to destroy it, I do not know!!! I cannot put her to bed yet, mid way through a bowel movement, so just waiting and then she is in bed. This could well be a bad day for me because my body aches all over, after doing a lot of physical things in the garden this weekend, mainly moving very large flower pots onto the path to try and stop mum from using it, its too bumpy and uneven so trying to encourage her to walk on grass only.

Hopefully tomorrow may be a little better, definitely taking pain killers tonight, about to do that now and looks like mum is now ready to go to bed, so pad change for her first and then pain killers for me.

Rolypoly

Jan 15, 2018
You must be emotionally and physically drained. I would send you some super glue to help keep everything in it’s place but I’ll have to send you a virtual ((hug)) instead. Hope you’re not too stiff in the morning.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
You must be emotionally and physically drained. I would send you some super glue to help keep everything in it’s place but I’ll have to send you a virtual ((hug)) instead. Hope you’re not too stiff in the morning.

I hope so too, going to bed soon. I think today was a clash, mum sundowning and my aching body. Even at this stage she is still sundowning, but not every day.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
My mum is supposed to have Dementia! To keep myself busy this week and mind off loosing our little dog last week, I have been spring cleaning and bringing back some of the furniture that I had to put in garage to stop mum moving it around the house. Only brought a few things back and already she is moving them around. These things have been out of the house for over a year and as she has been spending a lot of time in the dining room, not moving anything in there for a week or so, thought she had forgotten and would be safe to work on the sitting room. I think I will have to move coffee table back into garage she will not leave it alone and it is annoying. Out of sight out of mind obviously did not work on the furniture.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Danielf1