Nothing's the same without you

Discussion in 'I have a partner with dementia' started by northumbrian_k, Jul 11, 2019.

1. northumbrian_k

northumbrian_k Registered User

Mar 2, 2017
    Male
    Newcastle
    That's true. It is different without my wife. She loved Parisienne Walkways by the late Gary Moore. She liked this song too, probably because it echoes the first. After 2 pints of Wild Nobility I'm in a sentimental mood.. It will still sound good in the morning.

2. Dosey

Dosey Registered User

Nov 27, 2017
    #2 Dosey, Jul 12, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Beautiful. Never heard of him or this song. Maybe we are to young. Sums up how I feel about my beautiful husband who has been in Care now for 14 weeks.
    Thank you Northumbrian K

Well went on to iTunes to purchase this song, then seen he is the singer from thin lizzy, remember them from my young days lol. I am 61 so not that young.
    Have had a couple of pink gins and a wee trip down memory lane and a few tears. So lonely being on your own after 45 years together. Also bought an old album ballads and blues recognised some of the songs.
    Visiting my lovely best friend, husband my everything tomorrow.
    Alzheimer's is such a cruel disease.
    X

3. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    I`ve nothing to add but the title drew me to this Thread because I know how it feels.

4. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    A lovely song. I'd not heard of it.

Like Sylvia I know how it feels. I hope the day is good to you.

5. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Thank you for this beautiful song - I have not heard it before but it sums up how I feel too - nothing's the same.

6. AliceA

AliceA Registered User

May 27, 2016
    Brought tears, I can say no more

7. Jean1234

Jean1234 Registered User

Mar 19, 2015
    Never heard it before but it says it all . Made me cry as OH has been in a care home for nearly a year now and I miss him so much. A lovely song.

8. Philbo

Philbo Registered User

Feb 28, 2017
    Male
    Kent
    Hi @northumbrian_k

I don't remember this song but it is lovely and very poignant - nice guitar too.

I can empathise with @Dosey as although I am still able to care for my lovely wife at home (just about), I still feel lonely. She is always happy but can't really communicate which makes for a very one-sided relationship these days.:(

With so many of us couples in this situation, we should consider setting up an "absent soulmate" club?:rolleyes:

Phil

9. Lilac Blossom

Lilac Blossom Registered User

Oct 6, 2014
    Scotland
    Absent soulmate club? seems like a good idea

10. Arthur ASCII

Arthur ASCII Registered User

Jan 17, 2019
    Male
    Northamptonshire, UK
    I have Alzheimer's, and I know that it's only a matter of time before I leave my wife behind. It's the only thing about my condition that grieves me.

I find great solace and inspiration in listening to this particular track by the Tom Robinson Band: