No more driving

Lin B

Aug 18, 2022
Today my hubby with Alzheimers had to undergo a driving assessment as his current medical licence will expire shortly. At the end he was told he is not allowed to drive any more. I was expecting this would happen but was not emotionally prepared for the aftermath. I had to drive us home and my poor hubby just couldn't speak for the whole journey. When we arrived home he just broke down completely. He wept for a long time. He was inconsolable. I know this decision is for the best but seeing him like that has broken me today. I hate this disease so very very much. Sorry I just had to put words on a page because otherwise I will scream out loud.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
Oh how sad ((hugs)) to you both. It's so hard for the PWD to have things taken away they enjoy. Mine hates the fact he can no longer drive. I think they see it as loosing more independence.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
It really is hard for our PWDs to accept. Even after a couple of years my husband still gets angry that he can no longer drive.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I think the loss of a driving licence is a the removal of a PWD’s independence. We all value our sense of independence and when someone loses that, then the universe is telling them that they are now less than a whole human being, that they will have to rely on someone else, will have to ask for help, and that they have lost an essential part of themselves.

It is not just about doing something they love. It is a whole lot more complicated than that.

Lin B

Aug 18, 2022
Thank you for your replies. I agree with @Lawson58 it is more than losing something he loves. He drove for a living most of his working life, not just in the UK but in Europe as well. It is something he has always been proud of. And now someone he doesn't know has told him he is an unsafe driver. It is a hammer blow for him. Thankfully we have fantastic kids who have immediately shown him how much he is loved and cherished. We will move past this but it is yet another thing this awful disease has robbed him of.

Anniefran

Aug 16, 2022
Thank you for your replies. I agree with @Lawson58 it is more than losing something he loves. He drove for a living most of his working life, not just in the UK but in Europe as well. It is something he has always been proud of. And now someone he doesn't know has told him he is an unsafe driver. It is a hammer blow for him. Thankfully we have fantastic kids who have immediately shown him how much he is loved and cherished. We will move past this but it is yet another thing this awful disease has robbed him of.
My husband also drove for a living he absolutely loved it. He also took us all around Europe with our touring caravan, we had great times! He was devastated when he was told he couldn't drive anymore. He gets so angry and frustrated when I'm driving because I'm not very confident. Its so sad.
Lots of hugs to you xxx

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
I used to be the single sighted volunteer of a macular degeneration group many years ago. Many of them continued driving when they shouldn’t have been and when they finally had to give up their licences, they were devastated. It was the same emotional response, that along with losing their vision, this was another gut wrenching blow to their independence and the belief in themselves to cope.

jay6

Jun 25, 2023
@Lin B It's so sad for them, dementia just strips away their life and effects us too. Mine lost driving licence in 2014 after a massive stroke, still hasn't come to terms with it so I can only imagine how hard it must be for someone who drove for a living.
Thank goodness to have fantastic kids who shown him how much he is loved and cherished.