No funeral for wife

alang

Jul 31, 2017
Leicestershire
Mum passed away in the early hours of this morning. I saw her soon after, when the carers had left her peacefully in her bed. She's now in the care of the funeral directors. No doubt I'll speak with them later to discuss the direct cremation I have decided upon. Sad day indeed, but an end to her suffering. And so to the practicalities of telling the family that I'll not be seeing them for what they probably would expect - a service & ham sandwiches. I'll only have to tell my uncle's partner & she'll inform the others, of whom there are only in-laws & my cousins remaining. I suppose I'm a bit mindful that there will be some harrumphing & ''Wouldn't you have thought'' going on, but I hope they will respect my choice. It's just going to be a bit daunting telling them.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I’m so sorry for your loss @alang. I’m glad your mum’s suffering is over though.

Sending my condolences and wishing you strength for the days ahead. I do hope that others respect your choice.

StockwellJ

Oct 8, 2021
Mum passed away in the early hours of this morning. I saw her soon after, when the carers had left her peacefully in her bed. She's now in the care of the funeral directors. No doubt I'll speak with them later to discuss the direct cremation I have decided upon. Sad day indeed, but an end to her suffering. And so to the practicalities of telling the family that I'll not be seeing them for what they probably would expect - a service & ham sandwiches. I'll only have to tell my uncle's partner & she'll inform the others, of whom there are only in-laws & my cousins remaining. I suppose I'm a bit mindful that there will be some harrumphing & ''Wouldn't you have thought'' going on, but I hope they will respect my choice. It's just going to be a bit daunting telling them.

StockwellJ

Oct 8, 2021
I am sorry for your loss, but you did all you could for your mum. My husband died in December 2021, I could not face another funeral at the crematorium, as my daughter died in December 2017 and I am still awaiting an inquest into her death. I still have flashbacks of seeing her coffin and the thought of another service is painful. I had a cremation only for my husband and plan to have a meal out with all his grandaughters to celebrate his life, and raise a glass in his memory. at a later date. My husband left his affairs in a state and I have to pay for probate and change of name at the land registry which is going to cost a few thousand, so the money from his life policy will have to be spent on this as without his income things will be tight. We were married for 50 years and I loved him dearly. I am assured the cremation only was carried out with dignity, they played his favorite song, also a tree is being planted in his memory. On the day f the cremation myself and his grandaughters lit a candle in his memory. It is your choice what type of funeral you have. Your mum knows she was loved and that is all that matters. How we treat people when they are alive is all that matters. One of my friends tutted at my choice but franly it has nothing to do with her.

alang

Jul 31, 2017
Leicestershire
Thank you, everyone, for your kind words & condolences. And StockwellJ I'm so sorry to hear your terribly sad story, but reassured by your experience of the cremation only funeral, thank you & take care x