Night time help

Sally6115

Oct 31, 2023
My dad is 96 and has had dementia since beginning of year, he has now got to the stage of wandering around at night and upsetting my mum who is 95, all reasoning with him to stay in bed and medication hasn’t worked
sometimes he sits in the lounge in the dark, calling out for someone
what can I do to stop this or how can I persuade him to keep in the bed as his wandering is having a detrimental effect on my mum

thanks
sally.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
My dad is 96 and has had dementia since beginning of year, he has now got to the stage of wandering around at night and upsetting my mum who is 95, all reasoning with him to stay in bed and medication hasn’t worked
sometimes he sits in the lounge in the dark, calling out for someone
what can I do to stop this or how can I persuade him to keep in the bed as his wandering is having a detrimental effect on my mum

thanks
sally.
Sadly you can't, quite reasonably GP's are reluctant to prescribe "sleeping tablets" these days as they might increase the night fall risk if he did get up.
My wife got early onset AZ and I struggled at night as she could sleep all day while I did the cooking, cleaning...ect. and I was only late 50's looking after her then, well she was too as she got early onset AZ.
Sorry to say this but I'd put anything he could harm himself or worst still anyone else with, don't ask why I say this, just take my word.
K

Sally6115

Oct 31, 2023
yes, I have put everything out of way I have locks on all the cupboard doors and on the kitchen door so he cannot get inside

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I don’t think you’re going to be able to stop this now @Sally6115 😢😢

Its probably not what you want to hear, but maybe time for residential care if this is affecting your mum.

Would they at least try a bit of respite to give your mum a weeks rest?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kare143