New to the forum

lisa24

Aug 9, 2023
Hi I'm new to the forum my mum has been diagnosed with vascular dementia and its taken me a while to come to terms with it, although I work in health & social care and worked with many clients who have dementia I found it very hard to come to terms with my mum being diagnosed with it.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @lisa24

When you work in any situation, no matter how caring you are you are still able to be objective and to go home at the end of your shift.

When it`s your mum it`s impossible to be objective and there’s no way you can get away from it.

It`s also a big shock. No one thinks dementia will be in their future.

I’m really sorry. I hope this community will help. It`s full of daughters, sons, husbands, wives and even parents trying to come to terms with it.

Last edited:

Chris m

Nov 6, 2023
Hi Lisa, I'm quite new too, since my mum was recently diagnosed. It is devastating, and no less so for you as a health professional involved with many dementia cases. The emotions are complex - shock, grief, worry, a sense of loss - all at a time when you are having to process a lot of information and make major decisions about your mum's care. I've started to realise I'm not alone in feeling like this, and am finding support in this forum, keeping an open dialogue with mum's GP and care team, and thinking about going along to a local dementia support group to feel less isolated. It's good that you've reached out to this forum, and I hope you will find the understanding and kindness of others helpful to you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaynemills