New to the forum / Dad has Alzheimer’s

Stha22

Feb 18, 2024
Hello,

My dad has Alzheimer’s, Mum is his primary carer. Just feel a bit lost and helpless. Hoping to speak to like minded people and enjoy the good times whilst we can.

Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Help is available, try the local AgeUK, Alzheimer's Society, social services or whatever, help is available if you push the right buttons.
K

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Stha22 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum. We are a friendly and helpful community of people who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I hope that you'll find information, support and understanding here.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Stha22.

I’m glad you’ve found this forum. I hope being here will help you to feel a little less lost.

BurtB

Feb 20, 2024
Hi
Hello,

My dad has Alzheimer’s, Mum is his primary carer. Just feel a bit lost and helpless. Hoping to speak to like minded people and enjoy the good times whilst we can.

Thank you
Hi. I am In the same position. My dad has alzheimers and my mum is his primary carer. I am their POA. I am coping with the practical side it is the emotional side that I am really struggling with. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi

Hi. I am In the same position. My dad has alzheimers and my mum is his primary carer. I am their POA. I am coping with the practical side it is the emotional side that I am really struggling with. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you
Difficult one to answer, I did it alone caring for my wife and my solution didn't work, avoid the alcohol. K

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @BurtB and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. Sorry to hear that you are struggling emotionally, dementia is so difficult to deal with but sometimes just knowing that there are others out there who understand does help a little. If you can, try to get some time for yourself to do things that you enjoy. I find that sometimes even just a short walk can help to take your mind off things for a while. This is a really supportive group and you won't be alone here, there's always someone to share your thoughts with if you need to.