New to Alzheimers...

SteveD251

Jun 7, 2024
Hello All, my wife and I are just coming to term with her diagnosis of vascular dementia and alzheimers.
It has been building for some time, and last week we finally were given the official diagnosis after nearly a year of pushing the system for answers. Hopefully we will learn something here - the medics have all said that if we want to know anything about alzheimers, if we want any help with our problems, contact Alzheimers.org...
I will be reading the forum and the literature available, and hopefully learning enough for us to cope.

My wife has been prescribed Donepezil - after just a week she has had some horrific episodes of dizziness and nausea, with extended periods of dozing (passed out!?) in a chair. We understand that this may ease after a few weeks, but so far she is suffering badly from the very unpleasant side effects. Hopefully this will pass?

Steve.

My Mum's Daughter

Feb 8, 2020
@SteveD251 welcome to the group. Has your wife been started on a 5 mg dose of Donepezil or 10 mg?

If the side effects are really bad, please consult your doctor who may be able to prescribe an alternative medication.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @SteveD251 and welcome to Dementia Support Forum our friendly and helpful community of members who have experience of many aspects of dementia. I am sorry to hear about your wife but hope that you'll find support and understanding here.

SteveD251

Jun 7, 2024
@SteveD251 welcome to the group. Has your wife been started on a 5 mg dose of Donepezil or 10 mg?

If the side effects are really bad, please consult your doctor who may be able to prescribe an alternative medication.
Hi MM Daughter - thanks for the comment.
She has started on 5mg, now taken in the evening. Sadly not much help from VERY busy GPs, they referred us to Alzheimers.org! Looking for local self-help support, seems to be the best bet...

Vincentangela

Jun 8, 2024
Hi @SteveD251
My wife had her formal diagnosis of moderate stage Alzheimer last week and we started Donepezil 4 days ago. Before the mediation she was happy and moderately active. e.g. we walked to town and had a coffee etc. Now the nausea is so debilitating that she can do no more than get out of bed and she is very unhappy. I will be following up with he doctor next week. I know it’s only 4 days but quality of life is awful for Angela compared to pre meds. Hope all works out for you

Last edited: