New look

netsy22

Oct 31, 2015
Hi, I am not new but can't find anywhere else to post a comment on the new look site. (Very up to date and smart, with all the latest features!) I think I like it but it will take some getting used to. Before, you had recent posts and todays posts - I guess they are now merged. I like the live chat feature probably won't use it though.

Philbo

Feb 28, 2017
Kent
Must be something in the air, as quite a few of the various forums I use have also recently been "upgraded"?

I do wish though, that the developers would adopt a more KISS approach (Keep It Simple, Stupid!). Maybe it's an age thing but I do find so much these days, has been made overly complicated. I am all for technological improvements (and I'm no Luddite) but having too many "bells and whistles" often makes things less appealing or user-friendly?

I do like the layout and out of all the recent forum upgrades I've come across, this has been one of the better ones. Thanks to all those clever-clogs in the cloud somewhere.

Phil

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Must be something in the air, as quite a few of the various forums I use have also recently been "upgraded"?

A lot are doing the same move as TP - from vBulletin to XenForo software

Increasingly users are using mobile devices and wishing to upload images, vBulletin is not very good at either of these.
There were some problems over ownership rights at vBulletin, two employees left and set up XenForo with the explicit aim of creating mobile and image friendly software.
Different users of the software have different requirements, it's up to them strip out what they don't want from the default and configure their site to suit their members.

I do like the layout and out of all the recent forum upgrades I've come across, this has been one of the better ones. Thanks to all those clever-clogs in the cloud somewhere.

I agree with that, there are some horrible non intuitive layouts around.
TP can only get better as bugs are ironed out and maybe over time some tweaking is done.

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Have to scroll down to last message posted after pressing last page

Can't see who posted the last message

Not complaining.... honest.... just don't like change.... it's probably far safer than it may have been, therefore a good change....

Idle thought, would be interested to know how easy this new site is for Existing and new users with dementia

Another idle thought.... lists who is on line etc. Who/what are the robots???

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Robots are automatic crawlers for sites like google etc. They trawl sites to gather updated to include in their index.

Last edited:

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
A lot are doing the same move as TP - from vBulletin to XenForo software
Oh, @nitram I'm fairly new to TP, so I have no idea of your age, or gender even, but I have such a mental image of you! And every time I read something like the above, I feel just like the woman 'should be' in that old Armstrong and Miller sketch....'I don't know anything about (computers), but I do love fluffy kittens. Their fur is so soft'.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Oh, @nitram I'm fairly new to TP, so I have no idea of your age, or gender even, but I have such a mental image of you! And every time I read something like the above, I feel just like the woman 'should be' in that old Armstrong and Miller sketch....'I don't know anything about (computers), but I do love fluffy kittens. Their fur is so soft'.
:D:D:D

2jays

Jun 4, 2010
West Midlands
Robots are automatic crawlers for sites like google etc. They trawl sites to gather updated to include in their index.

Thank you Izzy - clear as mud to me :) but I guess they are needed

There was me thinking

"That's not a nice thing to call moderators" :eek: :D

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Have to scroll down to last message posted after pressing last page

Can't see who posted the last message

No need to scroll,down at all. Last person who posted is on the right on Recent posts page, just as it was in the old site.
Click/press on that and it takes you straight to the last post.

Chemmy

Nov 7, 2011
Yorkshire
No need to scroll,down at all. Last person who posted is on the right on Recent posts page, just as it was in the old site.
Click/press on that and it takes you straight to the last post.

As Saffie says.....but just remember to click on the time posted, not their name (as that takes you through to their profile)

Amethyst59

Jul 3, 2017
Kent
As Saffie says.....but just remember to click on the time posted, not their name (as that takes you through to their profile
And I've done that a few times! Makes you look like a creepy stalker! Tho, I'm not sure that our profile pages now register who has visited? It used to show the last ten visitors?

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
And I've done that a few times! Makes you look like a creepy stalker! Tho, I'm not sure that our profile pages now register who has visited? It used to show the last ten visitors?
Well if you’re concerned about looking like a creepy stalker, have a look at who it says you might be following! :D

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Oh, @nitram I'm fairly new to TP, so I have no idea of your age, or gender even, but I have such a mental image of you!

My gender is declared as male on my profile, you just have to believe that I'm not lying.

Exact age is classified. On Antiques Roadshow they often give a valuation of £80 to £120, I'll trim the top end and give age as between 80 and 100.

What's your mental image of me?
I assure you that

Click to enlarge and animate.

giphy (1).gif

is completely wrong.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I can’t find it myself now. I wonder if it has been taken out though I saw it the other day by chance.
@nitram
Nitram will know where it is if it hasn’t.

Are you looking for 'last 10 visitors' on a profile page?
It went with the change of forum software.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
Are you looking for 'last 10 visitors' on a profile page?
It went with the change of forum software.
No I was referring to the page that said who was following whom on this site.
We remarked on it during testing so it may have been takenoff but I saw it after launch.