New here

vandys

Mar 31, 2024
Hello, I'm caring for my mom 90 with dementia . Seems its gotten worse since she had covid last week. Has anyone out there experienced this? any suggestions on how to improve her mind set backs? This is so hard. Thank you

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @vandys and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. I am sorry to read about your mom having covid. Unfortunately any infection is inclined to affect people with dementia quite badly. Sometimes they will get back to where they were before the infection but sometimes they may not go back to the same baseline. In the meantime all you can do is to try to make sure that your mom eats and drinks well and also rests as she recovers.

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hello and welcome, any sort of infection let alone covid can cause a sudden downturn but not always permanently so, bacterial infection like a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) are often quoted, however, viral infections like covid, no idea, that said long covid is a whole different ball game if that's what it turns into.
Had covid myself, not the best of times and I post on here as a carer, took me out of the game for some time.
All better now sat posting in the kitchen at home against all odds.
All here to listen. K