New carer

Nick Key

Apr 17, 2024
Hi my name is Nikki. My husband Howard and I will be carers for his Mum when she moves to live with us in June ( not sure of exact date as we are doing alterations to accommodate her). She was diagnosed with dementia about 6 years ago. She lives on her own at the moment in Manchester in a 3 story town house with carers coming in twice a day and her daughter coming to see her a 2-3 times a week ( she lives 40 mins away). She has no appetite so has become very frail and is struggling with the stairs so she will come and live with us as we are all on one level.
She has a care plan in Trafford so I need to find out whether I need to get a new assessment done when she arrives or if it is transferred to the new local authority. Any help would be very gratefully received. TIA

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @Nick Key .

I’m sorry to read about your mum and hope that you can get a care package organised quickly. I think the best thing to do would be to telephone the social work department of the new authority and ask what the process will be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick Key

Apr 17, 2024
Welcome to the forum @Nick Key .

I’m sorry to read about your mum and hope that you can get a care package organised quickly. I think the best thing to do would be to telephone the social work department of the new authority and ask what the process will be.
Thanks Izzy. I will do that 😊

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome from me too @Nick Key and I hope all goes well when your mother in law comes to live with you and you get all the supporting care sorted.