New and need advice

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
Hi,
My mum has just moved into a care home by social services after not having any help at all previously. She has no capacity. She has her memory clinic visit soon as she wouldn't attend previously. She lived with my dad until this week. He is also 89 and totally at sea with all of this. I do not have any POA or anything else for either of them.

From what I have read the council should pay her care home fees because they chose it for her. They said they would be sending my dad an invoice though so that is very worrying. They have no savings and my mum only has a pension for income. They have a flat but with very little equity as they have a mortgage still.

She doesn't have a bank account - her pension is paid into my dad's. I will have to get her an account now I assume for the money to go into and then give it to the council or will they get in sent straight to them ? I hope to get him to transfer the money into my account for safe keeping in the short term until I manage to get it moved as otherwise he will spend it and then owe more money.

My mum and dad were not on pension credit but my dad will struggle to meet household bills without her pension.
They have almost no documentation as my dad doesn't keep any paperwork. I need to get her national insurance number.
My dad will need to apply for financial help of some sort as he is already in debt but currently managing to pay it off.
I am waiting to hear back from a referral to get help with a deputyship for my mum and a POA for my dad.

What help is it to get a deputyship ? I assume it is worthwhile for something.

My dad is understandably depressed because he can't look after my mum anymore but the financial aspects are now making it unbearable. Without any documents I don't know what I can do to help.

I thought that once my mum and dad were safe that it would get easier but it just seems to be one thing after another.

thanks for reading

sue31

Oct 2, 2023
Medway
It’s a financial nightmare to add to an already stressful situation isn’t it.

Going through similar here and if what I’ve put below is not quite right I’m sure someone with more knowledge will soon comment. However after doing so much reading I think it’s right - or not far off right.

Have you applied for a financial assessment for mum, this should have been offered by SS when a care home was mentioned - so ask. (Ours are worse than useless - it was admiral who told me ) If your mum has less than 23k (around that figure I believe) in cash/assets she will get it paid by the state.
Their property is not counted in at all as a ‘over 65’ is still living in it.
Your Dad. will probably also be entitled to some pension credits, so check them out for him.

Age uk, admiral nurses and similar organisations will point you in the right direction to get the help you need & advice on the help you need. Leave a message on their home pages & your local branch will call you.
Have your questions ready.

Also while your Dad is OK, get on the government website & do the POA for him, it’s not difficult. It’s £82 for each, finances and health. You can do either one or both.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
Hi @Ali1234, the local authority should carry out a financial assessment and determine what contribution is appropriate based on your mum's income and assets. There should be guidance about this on the council website. It is also explained here;

To illustrate, my wife has savings below the upper threshold of £23,250 but above the lower threshold of £14,250 and is in full time residential care. The council pays the larger part of her care home costs and she makes a contribution based on her state pension. half of her occupational pension and a tariff calculated on the amount of her savings above the lower threshold level.

Last edited:

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
The council pays the larger part of her care home costs and she makes a contribution based on her state pension. half of her occupational pension and a tariff calculated on the amount of her savings above the lower threshold level.
Does she have a special account for this ? Does she pay the council or the care home ?

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
It’s a financial nightmare to add to an already stressful situation isn’t it.

Going through similar here and if what I’ve put below is not quite right I’m sure someone with more knowledge will soon comment. However after doing so much reading I think it’s right - or not far off right.

Have you applied for a financial assessment for mum, this should have been offered by SS when a care home was mentioned - so ask. (Ours are worse than useless - it was admiral who told me ) If your mum has less than 23k (around that figure I believe) in cash/assets she will get it paid by the state.
Their property is not counted in at all as a ‘over 65’ is still living in it.
Your Dad. will probably also be entitled to some pension credits, so check them out for him.

Age uk, admiral nurses and similar organisations will point you in the right direction to get the help you need & advice on the help you need. Leave a message on their home pages & your local branch will call you.
Have your questions ready.

Also while your Dad is OK, get on the government website & do the POA for him, it’s not difficult. It’s £82 for each, finances and health. You can do either one or both.
Yes I have filled in the financial assessment form as well as I could but with no documentation and no bank account in her name it was quite difficult so I imagine it will be returned

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
My wife's contribution is calculated as a weekly amount. She receives a bill from the council once a month. I pay it from her ordinary bank account by bank transfer (I have Power of Attorney).

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Yes I have filled in the financial assessment form as well as I could but with no documentation and no bank account in her name it was quite difficult so I imagine it will be returned
if she has no bank ccount of her own i presume she has a joint one with your father- her pension must be paid in somewhere,

Half of what is in a joint account may well be deemed hers

just becuase the council chose the carehome doesnt mean they pay for it

Monica1927

Feb 20, 2022
Hello,
I think most areas are covered by this feed. Do keep checking in with us, it really helps.
It does feel overwhelming. Take each day at a time and if any help/support is being offered by family/friends/good neighbours, please accept it. You cannot do everything. Try to take some time out for yourself, even if it's only a couple of hours.
My tips:
Divide your action list
Immediate
Short term
Medium to long term.

Immediate
Get support from your local adult social services. You should get a named contact who is your main signpost to other help including financial assessments.

Legal up to date information is on the .gov.uk website including LPA POA and charges for Care Homes etc...
Immediate
Re your Dad, you can apply at his bank for 3rd party appointee with his permission.
Still do the POA /LPA for him going forward.
He may be entitled to Attendance Allowance, request this assessment form via the social worker.

Your Mum's legal and health will be supported by the Social Worker acting as independent "best interest" with your involvement.
This includes:
A Deprivation of Liberty (D.O.L.).
The Care Home Manager is also there to support you with information as well as getting your Mum settled.

If you are employed, check your employment policies re "flexible working" i found this really helped me to focus on appointments/ some lengthy Tel calls etc. to get things "sorted" as much as I could.

You take care of yourself, even more essential when being a carer x
I hope that you feel the virtual hug from this group 🤗

Ali1234

Oct 19, 2023
if she has no bank ccount of her own i presume she has a joint one with your father- her pension must be paid in somewhere,

Half of what is in a joint account may well be deemed hers

just becuase the council chose the carehome doesnt mean they pay for it
No it is my father's account - she doesn't have any single or joint