My father

leedave

Mar 17, 2024
Hi,

I have financial LPOA for my father's estate. A year ago social services moved him from two short hospital stays to full time care home, that is funded currently with his savings.
A year prior to this my brother moved in with my father to attempt to care for him. Had been diagnosed with vascular dementia and my brother was meant to be ensuring he had cooked meals, took his medication etc. However due to his own personal mental health issues he was unable to do this for my father, hence him ending up in hospital twice with dehydration and high blood pressure and infections.
I requested last year that my brother start to pay rent and bills for my father's property as prior to my father being placed in the care home, he'd been living there rent and bill free.
However he bluntly refused to pay anything, or want to find a job, in order to cover the costs. I have given him 9 months to sort his plan to relocate. But he has refused to communicate. Today I have visited him, served another letter stating i am acting in behlf of my father. He is now tresspassing, he has no rental agreement, he is not paying any money towards the bills or rent, and he has two months to vacate the house. Any prior verbal agreement with my father to stay there is no longer relevant as he now had permanent care from the care home. However he would not even let me into the property stating I should have made an appointment and given him prior notice of my visit? He does not approve of my requests, and he just made comments along the line of he will seek legal advice etc etc.
I did manage to access the property 20 minutes later via a spare key in a key safe. However upon entry I found the house in an utter mess. Not clean, cluter everywhere, boxes of items all around my father's bedroom, rotting food, piles of dirty clothes.... it was absolutely disgusting. I couldnt even enter the bathroom due to the rancid odour. I'm mortified that he is not even looking after the property. This is extremely upsetting to see my father's house in this state. I'm at the stage now where I really do not know what to do. The ideal scenario would be to rent or sell the house in order to pay for my father's care. I have had some limited legal advice, and was told he is now classed as an Excluded Occupier, has now right to live there and is trespassing. And I was told the police can remove him? This seems very extreme, but as I mentioned he is utterly convinced he has a right to continue living there free of charge.

I wondered what advice anyone can provide on this matter? Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Lee

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
Hello @leedave and welcome to the Dementia Support Forum. This sounds like a very complicated issue and I would suggest that you contact the Alzheimer's Society's help desk for advice. I have attached their details below.

maggie6445

Dec 29, 2023
Hi @leedave . You mention that your brother has mental health issues. Are social services aware of him because as a vulnerable adult they may help him to obtain suitable accommodation. Possibly with assisted living if they think it appropriate.
As already suggested . the helpline may be able to offer advise

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
This sounds a little nasty but it is a practical idea. As you have LPA, could you have the electricity and gas disconnected. If he gets cold enough and has no light, he might decide to move out.

leedave

Mar 17, 2024
Hi @leedave . You mention that your brother has mental health issues. Are social services aware of him because as a vulnerable adult they may help him to obtain suitable accommodation. Possibly with assisted living if they think it appropriate.
As already suggested . the helpline may be able to offer advise
Hi, I have today contacted social services to see if they can step in and help him.

leedave

Mar 17, 2024
This sounds a little nasty but it is a practical idea. As you have LPA, could you have the electricity and gas disconnected. If he gets cold enough and has no light, he might decide to move out.
The thought had crossed my mind. But seems extreme. Although I have just cancelled the broadband. As he wasn't even paying for that, my father was.