My dad died this week

65Maisie

Mar 14, 2019
My dad decided that he wasn’t going to eat or drink about 3 weeks ago. He had celebrated his 68th wedding anniversary.
Mum mum went to visit him from her care home. They wouldn’t have him live in the same one as her. He used to threaten the staff?about mum’s care etc.

He’s been in a care home since December when he came out of hospital after watching his house burn to the ground!
He told everyone he was a doctor and knew what he was doing and he definitely didn’t have dementia!
Last week I thought he’d had a stroke as I couldn’t understand a word he was saying!
I got the nurse and he was talking normally again...
they brought in his soup. as he was in bed it went every where. I offered to help him. He shouted that he would throw it at if I kept on about him not eating.
The career came in to offer him shepherds pie or a veggie option?
I said oh I expect you’d like shepherds pie wouldn’t you dad.
The career said oh your dads a vegetarian..
I said no he’s not.
My dad said I’ve been a vegetarian for 40 years!
All nonsense.
On Easter Sunday I was called as he had a thrush infection. We had to rush around looking for a chemist that was open. We managed to get one tablet. He said he was fine and not ill , he would dance around the room to prove it...

He refused to go to hospital and on Monday they told me he was picking up but still very ill and refusing to go to hospital. I said but as long as you can treat him people don’t die from thrush do they?
Not to worry they would get the doctor again. Told it was ok for him to be treated in the care home.
Tuesday I got a call to say they wanted to get the doctor again as they thought he wouldn’t last more than a day or 2.
Are you coming?
Of course.....
They sent for end of life drugs to keep him calm. They thought he was in a lot of pain.
Dad could no longer speak it was just noise.
My brother traveled up to be there and my nice. My son talked to him on the phone.
At 2.50 I just needed to be with my mum. I was only gone 10 minutes when I got a call to say he’d passed away.
All the staff were shocked that this had all happened so quickly.
My dad looked like a skeleton laying cold in the bed , it was so hard and so horrible.
This bloody Alzheimer’s is such a cruel and awful thing

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
such sad news @65Maisie
my condolences to you and your mum
your dad is now free from dementia
and I hope you find some peace for yourself

istherelight?

Feb 15, 2017
So sorry, @65Maisie
Your Dad's passing must have been a shock. My Dad also slipped away while we were out for a short while. He died peacefully and I hope your Dad did too.

My condolences to you and your family xx

AliceA

May 27, 2016
This happens so often, it is as if people need to be alone to let go. This happened with my mother, we left for a wash and change of clothes, we were no sooner home with my father and the phone rang. Refusing food is not unusual either. In a muddled mind the excuses are often far fetched to the rest of us.
Try not to worry, he is at peace.
The neuroscientist Peter Fenwick has written about this.

65Maisie

Mar 14, 2019
So sorry, @65Maisie
Your Dad's passing must have been a shock. My Dad also slipped away while we were out for a short while. He died peacefully and I hope your Dad did too.

My condolences to you and your family xx
No he didn’t die peacefully he was very agitated and they gave him an infection to try to calm him. I think he was in pain as he’d not long had a fall and a hip replacement! He just refused pain relief so as he was taking ( even though we couldn’t understand a word he was saying) he kept screaming out. It was so distressing for all of us. After they gave him morphine and that seemed to calm him.

Theses days are going to be hard to drive from my head.
Thank you for your thoughts xx