1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Effy

Effy Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Northern Ireland
    Does anyone know if taking part in musical activities is a help to people with dementia? My own darling dad had vascular dementia and passed away 4 months ago, but I may be in a position in my work as a teacher where I could encourage and help organise musical performances/sing a longs with some senior pupils, perhaps linking up with a local care home?
    Perhaps I am being very naive and there is much more to this than meets the eye, but if I thought it would be helpful, I'd definitely try to organise it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

2. Kjn

Kjn Registered User

Jul 27, 2013
    Perhaps you could find a local and attend a singing for the brain session to see how it helps, it's run by alz association. I'd put link up but Internet is slow today. If you google it , you'll see what it's about.
    The one my parents attend is always packed out , so popular.

3. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Music is so important to my husband. When he won't do something I start singing to him and he joins in and then does whatever it is!

Have you seen this?

http://www.playlistforlife.org.uk

4. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    Izzy you are ace I needed a new focus today as it was such struggle yesterday. Not even Happy Talk on South Pacific made any difference!!!! I still haven't grasped how to sort out a playlist on YouTube and some kind sole will tell me shortly. That is T P: thank goodness I found it. G L the dinosaur on some fronts!

5. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    Is this any help?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4489417?hl=en

I haven't done that myself. My playlists are on iPod, iPad and iPhone!

6. Grey Lad

Grey Lad Registered User

Sep 12, 2014
    North East Lincs
    Hi Izzy thanks will try it later. Need to try to solve underwear issues this morning and work up from there if you know what I mean.:D:D:D

7. canary

canary Registered User

Feb 25, 2014
    Female
    South coast
    I think this is a lovely idea if you can organise it.
    Music is so important to people with dementia

8. john51

john51 Registered User

Apr 26, 2014
    Male
    Dunstable, Bedfordshire
    A definate yes

Hi Effy
    Music really helps those of use with dementia.
    I play tuba. I got a diagnosis of vascular dementia just over a year ago.
    I have had to retire from work as a teacher.
    I play with a band, where the conductor knows of my problems. I read music more slowly than I used to and quite often get fingerings wrong, but everybody is very patient with me.
    It really does help to keep the brrian active tho.