Music as therapy

Effy

Jul 26, 2015
Northern Ireland
Does anyone know if taking part in musical activities is a help to people with dementia? My own darling dad had vascular dementia and passed away 4 months ago, but I may be in a position in my work as a teacher where I could encourage and help organise musical performances/sing a longs with some senior pupils, perhaps linking up with a local care home?
Perhaps I am being very naive and there is much more to this than meets the eye, but if I thought it would be helpful, I'd definitely try to organise it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Perhaps you could find a local and attend a singing for the brain session to see how it helps, it's run by alz association. I'd put link up but Internet is slow today. If you google it , you'll see what it's about.
The one my parents attend is always packed out , so popular.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Music is so important to my husband. When he won't do something I start singing to him and he joins in and then does whatever it is!

Have you seen this?

http://www.playlistforlife.org.uk

Izzy you are ace I needed a new focus today as it was such struggle yesterday. Not even Happy Talk on South Pacific made any difference!!!! I still haven't grasped how to sort out a playlist on YouTube and some kind sole will tell me shortly. That is T P: thank goodness I found it. G L the dinosaur on some fronts!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Izzy you are ace I needed a new focus today as it was such struggle yesterday. Not even Happy Talk on South Pacific made any difference!!!! I still haven't grasped how to sort out a playlist on YouTube and some kind sole will tell me shortly. That is T P: thank goodness I found it. G L the dinosaur on some fronts!

Is this any help?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4489417?hl=en

I haven't done that myself. My playlists are on iPod, iPad and iPhone!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does anyone know if taking part in musical activities is a help to people with dementia? My own darling dad had vascular dementia and passed away 4 months ago, but I may be in a position in my work as a teacher where I could encourage and help organise musical performances/sing a longs with some senior pupils, perhaps linking up with a local care home?
Perhaps I am being very naive and there is much more to this than meets the eye, but if I thought it would be helpful, I'd definitely try to organise it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I think this is a lovely idea if you can organise it.
Music is so important to people with dementia

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
A definate yes

Hi Effy
Music really helps those of use with dementia.
I play tuba. I got a diagnosis of vascular dementia just over a year ago.
I have had to retire from work as a teacher.
I play with a band, where the conductor knows of my problems. I read music more slowly than I used to and quite often get fingerings wrong, but everybody is very patient with me.
It really does help to keep the brrian active tho.