Music as therapy

Effy

Jul 26, 2015
Northern Ireland
Does anyone know if taking part in musical activities is a help to people with dementia? My own darling dad had vascular dementia and passed away 4 months ago, but I may be in a position in my work as a teacher where I could encourage and help organise musical performances/sing a longs with some senior pupils, perhaps linking up with a local care home?
Perhaps I am being very naive and there is much more to this than meets the eye, but if I thought it would be helpful, I'd definitely try to organise it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Kjn

Jul 27, 2013
Perhaps you could find a local and attend a singing for the brain session to see how it helps, it's run by alz association. I'd put link up but Internet is slow today. If you google it , you'll see what it's about.
The one my parents attend is always packed out , so popular.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Music is so important to my husband. When he won't do something I start singing to him and he joins in and then does whatever it is!

Have you seen this?

http://www.playlistforlife.org.uk

Izzy you are ace I needed a new focus today as it was such struggle yesterday. Not even Happy Talk on South Pacific made any difference!!!! I still haven't grasped how to sort out a playlist on YouTube and some kind sole will tell me shortly. That is T P: thank goodness I found it. G L the dinosaur on some fronts!

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Izzy you are ace I needed a new focus today as it was such struggle yesterday. Not even Happy Talk on South Pacific made any difference!!!! I still haven't grasped how to sort out a playlist on YouTube and some kind sole will tell me shortly. That is T P: thank goodness I found it. G L the dinosaur on some fronts!

Is this any help?

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/4489417?hl=en

I haven't done that myself. My playlists are on iPod, iPad and iPhone!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Does anyone know if taking part in musical activities is a help to people with dementia? My own darling dad had vascular dementia and passed away 4 months ago, but I may be in a position in my work as a teacher where I could encourage and help organise musical performances/sing a longs with some senior pupils, perhaps linking up with a local care home?
Perhaps I am being very naive and there is much more to this than meets the eye, but if I thought it would be helpful, I'd definitely try to organise it.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

I think this is a lovely idea if you can organise it.
Music is so important to people with dementia

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
A definate yes

Hi Effy
Music really helps those of use with dementia.
I play tuba. I got a diagnosis of vascular dementia just over a year ago.
I have had to retire from work as a teacher.
I play with a band, where the conductor knows of my problems. I read music more slowly than I used to and quite often get fingerings wrong, but everybody is very patient with me.
It really does help to keep the brrian active tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarah R