Mum's Little Dog

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Thank both, empathy is such a comfort.

Mum has not yet noticed, I have. Empty spot on sofa, no 11pm let out in to the garden, no hopping onto my bed in the middle of the night and no company down to chicken house to let them out this morning.

Still just waiting for mum's reaction to all this and if not how sad is that.

Moggymad

May 12, 2017
So sorry @Tin you made the decision in love & kindness now you have the pain of loss to deal with which you are having to hide from your mum. Maybe as long as something (toy) is there where your little dog normally is she may never realise. As you know it will take you time to adjust & sparing your mum the sadness unfortunately adds to yours. Sending caring thoughts your way X

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Oh Tin, I am so, so sorry to read this. I can imagine how hard it was for you to have to make this decision, especially with the added complication of your Mum's obsession, and I hope you can (eventually) get some comfort from knowing that you did the right thing for the little doggy. I have everything crossed, hoping that your Mum is able to handle the loss with the absolute minimum of stress (for both her and you) . My oldest pup is 16, and I know that we don't have too much longer with him, even though at the moment, he is pain free and quite happy - I just don't know how I am going to cope when we lose him, and the thought of having to deal with the grief alongside the worries that you have heaped on you at the moment, is just sad beyond words. Sending massive {{{{{{{{hugs}}}}}}} hun xxxxx

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Thank both, empathy is such a comfort.

Mum has not yet noticed, I have. Empty spot on sofa, no 11pm let out in to the garden, no hopping onto my bed in the middle of the night and no company down to chicken house to let them out this morning.

Still just waiting for mum's reaction to all this and if not how sad is that.

You've made me cry! So very sad..
It's at times like these that the loss really hits hard.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Mum is not aware that she has gone. She spends a lot of time at the dining table, has done this for a few weeks now,. She has come in to the sitting room and briefly looked at the sofa where the dog usually settles, a bit of confusion on her face, but that's it, but also we have had no sundowning for the last few days and that too is normal, it does not happen every day.

I am always aware of the little changes in mum, but this is a big one and only goes to show how her once normal life has completely gone and now just memories for me. This dog was everything to mum and as far back as I can remember there has always been one in the family, sometimes 2 at the same time, starting big and getting smaller as the years went by.

Ann Mac

Oct 17, 2013
Mum is not aware that she has gone. She spends a lot of time at the dining table, has done this for a few weeks now,. She has come in to the sitting room and briefly looked at the sofa where the dog usually settles, a bit of confusion on her face, but that's it, but also we have had no sundowning for the last few days and that too is normal, it does not happen every day.

I am always aware of the little changes in mum, but this is a big one and only goes to show how her once normal life has completely gone and now just memories for me. This dog was everything to mum and as far back as I can remember there has always been one in the family, sometimes 2 at the same time, starting big and getting smaller as the years went by.

Tin, that is so sad, hun. Not only that you have lost the little dog, but also that it has high-lighted such a huge deterioration in your Mum's awareness and perception. Just heartbreaking - I wish I had the right words to say to somehow help, but all I can do is send massive {{{{{hugs}}}} and tell you I am thinking of you xxxxxxx

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Tin, that is so sad, hun. Not only that you have lost the little dog, but also that it has high-lighted such a huge deterioration in your Mum's awareness and perception. Just heartbreaking - I wish I had the right words to say to somehow help, but all I can do is send massive {{{{{hugs}}}} and tell you I am thinking of you xxxxxxx

Thank you Ann, I did have a moment yesterday when I thought maybe another dog, for me not mum, but our options are so small. A puppy is out of the question because I just do not have time to house train or even exercise to the level one would need and a small breed would be the choice. Rehoming an older, small dog would not really work either. Cats and chickens here and sadly most of the rehoming ones are x-breeding and require lots of attention to rehabilitate, the poor things have had such dreadful first few years, its shocking how many are out there. Damned puppy farmers, It seems small breeds are their preferred choice!

A friend called me last night and told me of a dog that she knew was in a foster home close to her and they have been trying for almost 2 years to rehome her, she is used to living with cats now, but still very nervous of people, hides behind the sofa whenever visitors are in the house and still getting used to walking on lead, but does love running around a completely enclosed field, I need a dog that could walk down a busy High Street. Another small problem is they want her to go to a home that already has a dog - I can't take on 2 dogs! From what I can gather, placing x-breeding dogs in a home that already has a dog is the preferred thing to do.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
I don't think it's the time right now for you to get another dog, really. I know how tempting that it, particularly when it's a rescue but my opinion is that you should put the matter on hold for the foreseeable future.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
I don't think it's the time right now for you to get another dog, really. I know how tempting that it, particularly when it's a rescue but my opinion is that you should put the matter on hold for the foreseeable future.

I know, it was just a moment of weakness last night after mum had gone to bed and of course not helped by the phone call from friend earlier.

Mum has called for her dog a few times today, but not stressing and I have just told her that she is asleep on bed. She is 'looking' for something though.

jugglingmum

Jan 5, 2014
Chester
I'm sorry the time isn't right to get another dog. When our first dog died, we got another one 4 weeks later (we were abroad for 2 of them) and when the second of our 2 cats died we got a pair of kittens straight away (I was on maternity leave - so good time to settle them) so I fully understand the desire to replace your mum's dog. Our collie is now 15 and we know she hasn't got long (although you wouldn't know it when you see her) however I am not sure about getting another one, we hope to retire and travel in 5 years time, and owning a dog and travelling aren't that compatable.

Tin

May 18, 2014
UK
Heart breaking today, mum keeps going to part of sofa where dog used to rest and looks very confused, then goes to second favourite sleeping place. Has not said anything. just looking confused.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fraoch