Mums finances and funding

Ailsa32

Mar 29, 2010
Lincolnshire
Hi, wondering if anyone can help.
For the last 2 years, mum has been in a care home, partly funded by social services? & herself (approx £1300 a month) As her dementia has progressed, her care needs have increased. In February, she was assessed and it was decided she would be fully funded. We have not had any invoices from the care home since. Her savings are below the 23k mark, however due to pensions being paid in, the money in her savings is slowly starting to increase.

Not sure where we stand, as she is fully funded, should she be paying any contribution? And how does it work with her savings, as I know previously if her savings went over £23.500 she would have been liable for more of her care.

My sister and I share, joint poa, but only she has had letters regarding the fully funded care, and was told they would reassess the situation again in a years time.

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
When you say "fully funded" do you mean NHS Continuing Healthcare? If that's the case, your mother will not have to make a contribution at all.

Ailsa32

Mar 29, 2010
Lincolnshire
Thanks for taking the time to respond I assume that's what the 'fully funded' covers, although I don't have a copy of the letter to confirm that. Have you any idea, if her savings do go over 23,500 we will have to start to contribute towards care again. Or is that it, she is now nhs funded until further notice?

Thanks in advance x

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
If she's funded by the NHS she could have a million pounds in her accounts and she still wouldn't have to pay. In fact, it most situations she wouldn't be permitted to contribute.

I think it must be NHS continuing care: while an LA might up it's contribution for someone who needed extra care, she'd still be paying her pensions etc to offset that cost as she's under the upper limit. And she isn't.

Bear in mind that NHS CC can be removed at some point in the future, so save the money, but simply going over the upper limit won't trigger any form of payment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFrazer