Funding concerns

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
Hi all,

Mum has been in a home for past 4 years she is funded by social services and tops up home fees with her pension, she has had her annual income review and now has to pay £200 per month more than she was and this is also more than her pension income per month, my sister manages her finances but this just seems so wrong is there any way to appeal as she has some savings but not much but is between the lower and upper limit and it won't take long to erode her savings.
Any advice please

Laineyb

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I don't understand as the amount a resident pays towards care home fees when being subsidised by the LA is not a top-up but the element of the fees paid from pensions plus £1 for every £250 over the lower level of £14,250.

So it will be more than the pension payment but should not have suddenly risen by £200 in one fell swoop. The annual account the LA sent should explain exactly how the payments are broken down.

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point mobile app

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
There is something screwy going on here. If your mother is being funded by the LA she should be paying her pensions (I'm assuming there isn't a spouse in the picture) plus £1 per £250 of savings over the £14250 lower limit, less the £24.40 personal expense allowance . She should NOT be paying top ups (in fact she isn't permitted to, except in a very few restricted situations, mostly related to the 12 week property disregard and deferred payment agreements that I doubt apply to your mother ). "Top-ups" come/can only come from 3rd parties.

I think we need a bit more information to give valid advice.

laineyb

Feb 3, 2009
northamptonshire
Thanks am hoping my sister will send me the letter from la so I can get a handle on what's going on (though not sure she will as she seemed reluctant when I asked for it) but I have a plan b so will update and ask for advice as soon as I can

Laineyb:)