Mums deteriorating and I need help regarding her driving and the rules around it

Kim68

Jan 18, 2024
Hi There,
My mother was diagnosed with the early onset of Alzheimers last May - it's getting worse, with her being quite poorly and not getting to the loo on time and the other obvs symptoms....I think we're now in the middle ground, bordering the late stage. She refuses to accept help, she is still driving and that really concerns me.
What are the rules around this - can anyone help?
I'm in St Neots (mum in Kettering) but no centres near by for me to talk to anyone - I'm sure like a lot of you I feel helpless and like I'm the grim reaper trying to stop her from doing things - but I want to ensure she an other people are safe.
Any thoughts and advice are truly welcomed.
thanks in advance
Kim

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Kim68 and welcome to the forum.

This is a common issue and there must be hundreds of threads about it. If you click the following link you may find something useful

Search results for query: driving

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Kim68 Welcome

When my mother said her car knew its own way home, I contacted the DVLA

She was asked to return her licence.

I felt mean about this. She was an Advanced Driver with the IAM and a member of the Veteran Motorists.

I would have felt worse if she had caused an accident.

Gosling

Volunteer Host
Aug 2, 2022
South West UK
Hello Kim @Kim68 and welcome to this friendly and supportive forum.
I am sorry to read of your Mum's Alzheimer's diagnosis. The driving issue is a common topic on here for worried families, This link may help:

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
Try the institute of advnced motorists in Northampton, they maybe able to advise/offer a test and evaluate.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I wonder whether your mum has ever informed DVLA and her insurance company that she has dementia? It is mandatory to inform DVLA/insurance otherwise your mums insurance is invalid. It is also possible that her driving licence has been revoked and your mum is driving without a licence.

I would contact the DVLA