Mum with dementia and has become violent

Sarah Finx

Jan 31, 2024
Hey,

I'm Sarah, my mother who is 78 was diagnosed with acute cranial atrophy back in 2021, she has been in a care home since Sept 2023. She is remembering very little, the few memories she has are related to her childhood, but luckily she remembers me and my sister.

We have recently been made aware that the care home she is in will be doing a placement review as they are struggling to meet mum's behavioural needs.

Has anyone been through something like this? What does a care home that caters for violent residents look like? I've got all these awful images in my mind and I'm starting to wind myself up!

TIA
Sarah

Violet Jane

Aug 23, 2021
There is medication to address aggression. Has this been tried? It doesn't have to be a chemical cosh.

Sarah Finx

Jan 31, 2024
There is medication to address aggression. Has this been tried? It doesn't have to be a chemical cosh.
They have been trying her on various medications for some time, the biggest problem is she is physically aggressive to both residents and carers and they have said they will need to find an alternative home for her. My dad passed away 2 weeks ago, so this is just the cherry on the cake of an already shocking year, and it's only January :(

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
Hello @Sarah Finx , this is definitively a dreadful time for you and I’m sorry for the loss of your dad.
I am assuming the home has checked for infections or any other discomfort or pain. Unfortunately there sometimes is no reason other than dementia and you mum may need to be in a home that can keep her and other residents and staff safe. This happened to my mum, it was so difficulty at the time but now she is in a home that can meet her needs following an assessment by the MHSOP. I’ll admit it is not a pretty home and it is secure with all residents having a DoLS in place but the level of care is amazing and mum is now very content . She is on a small unit with decent staffing and they have built up a wonderful relationship with her. And just to set your mind at rest, all the residents are up washed and dressed when I visit, there are plenty of activities and some trips out. Entertainment is provided and the garden is used a lot in the summer.