Mum is wandering

Mariana Trench

Nov 5, 2017
Try Unforgettable.com they have loads of safety gadgets that enhance safety and choice and do not take the rights to take risks away.

Coffeepot63

Oct 26, 2017
Preston, Lancs.
Hi i have a problem with mum going out late at night and didn't realise how frequently she went out until we went to currys/pc world and bought the Samsung smarthings hub which came with a motion sensor, door sensor and keyring. It plugs into the broadband router and sends alerts to our mobile phones whenever mum opens the door and closes it and also when she has left home. The main unit plugs into the router and needs to be plugged into the mains but the other sensors just need batteries and the door sensor sticks onto the top of the door with sticky pads. It has been invaluable as mum has a telecare system installed that's triggered when she opens the door after 9pm til 7am and they alert us during the night and I can see if she is in the house or not by checking the movement sensor. Hope this may be of help to you.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
The 'click here to order' link does not work, the 'how to order' links at top and bottom do.
Probably best to ring and have a talk about your requirement.

If ringing ask about 'VAT exemption'
https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...liefs-for-disabled-and-older-people#emergency
they should know if it applies. If it does you tell them why she qualifies and they don't charge the VAT, you don't have to contact HMRC.
Haven't been on the site for a while, just to let you know this product is now unavailable

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
I think you really need to put your foot down and get Social Services involved, get carers, get a cleaner and then maybe your mom will be able to remain at home. I was in a similar situation 12 months ago, only our mom did have carers to do her meals, my sister lived 10 minutes away, was the nearest but seemed to resent it if she had to go round to mom's unexpectedly, she refused to let her have a cleaner saying she would do it but didn't, refused any help with shopping then bought rubbish cheap microwave meals that mom didn't want to eat. I was quite willing to have mom live near me, an hour away from my sister, but she talked mom out of it. The end result was my sister decided she couldn't cope, wouldn't give mom anymore help than 2 set visits a week and put mom into a care home without us all agreeing.
My poor mom is a shadow of her former self, she cries, she wants to go home, doesn't understand why she was 'dumped' (her words) and sometimes she looks like she is at deaths door when we see her. She has been without her hearing aids since August in the care home and I haven't been able to communicate with mom properly, she must feel so isolated.
Personally and I know many people won't agree with me but I'd fight to keep her home anyday.
Yes i definitely agree and so does my sister. I think it is a learning curve for her and acceptance although she says that she wants to care for Mum her actions do not reflect this. I am in my fifth year of caring so I know how she feel, the acceptance part. I am trying to make her life easier by putting precautions in place, but I do need her input on this as she will be the one to liaise with cleaners/ carers, I really do not have any energy left over, and I have to be careful not to 'interfere' it's family dynamics stuff really. also if I do too much she will expect it - she asked the other day if I had cooked Mum a meal when I visited. Respite has just been granted for Richard, my partner, as I am in desperate need right now virtually coping on my own (as many others do) but the effect is cummulative and I am feeling very low with nothing to look forward to right now, I know I need a break. I will try my best for my Mum by letting sister have as much information and knowledge I can source for her. sorry about your Mum it must really hurt and be a constant worry for you

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
I agree that you get more help for your mum or it may be a home. I live with my mum and it's very difficult but thank God she hasn't started wandering yet? But won't wash,tske her meds and is also diabetic I'm trying to get doctor to tell her if she dosnt let me take over her meds it's a home but I'm still trying to convince the doctor she even has dementia?? I would get social care involved ASAP as wandering is extremely dangerous.
Some people will only listen to a doctor's advice, you never know your Mum might be persuaded by him/her. Richard will happily take his meds but today I turned my back and he was happily mixing the meds with a glass of water! I am still trying to find some sort of system to alert sister that Mum has gone out of the door.

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
You could get an alarm or alert system but I don't see how you can get your sister to be the one alerted. No one can be made to take responsibility for a PWD. I agree with LadyA that the time may have come for a more long term solution. Are Social Services involved?
we are trying to keep Mum at home as long as possible (her wishes) so I am still looking for a solution to the front door..

padmag

May 8, 2012
nottingham
Hi i have a problem with mum going out late at night and didn't realise how frequently she went out until we went to currys/pc world and bought the Samsung smarthings hub which came with a motion sensor, door sensor and keyring. It plugs into the broadband router and sends alerts to our mobile phones whenever mum opens the door and closes it and also when she has left home. The main unit plugs into the router and needs to be plugged into the mains but the other sensors just need batteries and the door sensor sticks onto the top of the door with sticky pads. It has been invaluable as mum has a telecare system installed that's triggered when she opens the door after 9pm til 7am and they alert us during the night and I can see if she is in the house or not by checking the movement sensor. Hope this may be of help to you.
sorry its a late reply. Why do you need both systems? Is it because Telecare only works between 9pm and 7 am apologies if I'm being dim.Perhaps I need to look into Telecare. I think I've just answered my own question its a movement sensor - really tired brain not working lol! Mum doesn't have broadband, so I presume I would have to have it installed, small price to pay though for peace of mind.

Coffeepot63

Oct 26, 2017
Preston, Lancs.
sorry its a late reply. Why do you need both systems? Is it because Telecare only works between 9pm and 7 am apologies if I'm being dim.Perhaps I need to look into Telecare. I think I've just answered my own question its a movement sensor - really tired brain not working lol! Mum doesn't have broadband, so I presume I would have to have it installed, small price to pay though for peace of mind.
I'm also sorry to reply so late, we purchased the smartthings in May 17 the telecare system was installed free of charge in October 17 after i requested a fire safety check and the fire service requested it for my mum so that smoke alarms and carbon detectors link directly to telecare and they installed a keysafe box and my mum also has a fall alert wristband. We have recently altered the time of the door monitoring to 12 til 6 during the night in case i am asleep and miss the alert on my phone app. It's not really successful at stopping my mum going out though