Mum doesn't want help.

petbax

Jan 4, 2024
Hello, I’m looking for some advice help on where we; my sister (with a full-time job, lives nearby and is the main carer) and I (lives 100 mile away) can go to get my mum the care that is best for her.

She is 94 this month lives in her own home and has had dementia for about 3 years which has worsened over the last 6 months. She is sometimes ok but her short-term memory is very poor. She becomes quite rude and belligerent to my sister and refuses help from everybody apart from her. It’s my sisters’ wellbeing that I’m also concerned about.

My Mum doesn’t take her pills regularly as prescribed, we’ve tried everything regarding these.
She has carers in each day to help, who keep the house tidy, (cleaning, ironing, etc) but will not let them help to wash her or bathe.
Unfortunately she is beginning to soil herself, so she’s beginning to smell (which she of course denies).
We can’t get her to have a bath, even with nursing support.

I’m sure we’re not alone with these problems. I think she would be best cared for in a nursing home, but persuading her to go is a no no. I’ve spoken to her GP who has said that it’s a slow process to get her to change her habits.

Any advice/ideas on what we can do gratefully received.

try again

Jun 21, 2018
You will not be able to change her habits!

Has she had a social service assessment recently?
Have you poa, attendance allowance, council tax disregard etc in place.

ShivyDevon

Oct 11, 2022
Have you approached Social Services to ask them to complete a needs assessment and a carers assessment for your sister?

petbax

Jan 4, 2024
You will not be able to change her habits!

Has she had a social service assessment recently?
Have you poa, attendance allowance, council tax disregard etc in place.
Thank you. She had a SS assessment over 2 years ago, yes maybe we need to arrange another. We have LPA, att allce, and nil council tax in place thanks.