Mum diagnosed with Mild Cognitive impairment....possibly worsened.

SJG54

May 15, 2024
Hi everyone
New here and hoping to get some understanding about my mum for my dad.
Mum was diagnosed with MCI last November, with typical signs ...no short term memory. However this seems to have changed dramatically since February this year. We are due at the memory clinic this coning week but my poor dad is at his wits end. She has days whereby....a few common recurring examples : she doesn't know who dad is or thinks he has 'outstayed his welcome ' . He is spending all her money. She bought their current house just for her to be on her own. She is hiding documents. She has run out to neighbours asking for help & crying as she thinks dad is a stranger.
She has also become aggressive to dad and threatened him
verbally and physically .
Yet she knows me , my brother and when she calms down knows who dad is and is back to her usual self.
It seems frightening that she has changed so dramatically since Nov last year. The main thing is we are due at the memory clinic very soon but just wanted to share these experiences to see if this is common or resonates with anyone else.
I am going to look up some local support groups for either just dad or both of them.
Tia SJG

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to the forum @SJG54

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s deterioration and yes these delusions and behaviours are common with dementia but infections can also make people more confused so it might be worth checking that this isn’t making the problem worse. Urine infections are very common and you’ll need to get your mum to see the GP if you suspect this might be the problem.

HarrietD

Staff Member
Staff member
Apr 29, 2014
London
Hi @SJG54 and welcome to the community - I hope you'll find lots of understanding and support here.

I'm very sorry to hear that your mum was diagnosed with MCI last year, and that it's changed dramatically since February. It sounds really distressing for you and your family to deal with, and to see the impact it's having on your dad. Other members will be along soon to share their own experiences and suggestions.

SJG54

May 15, 2024
Welcome to the forum @SJG54

I’m sorry to read about your mum’s deterioration and yes these delusions and behaviours are common with dementia but infections can also make people more confused so it might be worth checking that this isn’t making the problem worse. Urine infections are very common and you’ll need to get your mum to see the GP if you suspect this might be the problem.
Thank you. She is having a repeat urine test this week as the last one came back with a possible infection. I think they must repeat it to make sure(?) Memory clinic next week at least & hoping for some respite for dad & bizarrely fingers crossed it is an infection which can offer some medication.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
Welcome to the forum @SJG54.

I’m sorry to hear about your mum. It must be very worrying. You might find some local support through this link -

evemc

May 16, 2024
Hi everyone
New here and hoping to get some understanding about my mum for my dad.
Mum was diagnosed with MCI last November, with typical signs ...no short term memory. However this seems to have changed dramatically since February this year. We are due at the memory clinic this coning week but my poor dad is at his wits end. She has days whereby....a few common recurring examples : she doesn't know who dad is or thinks he has 'outstayed his welcome ' . He is spending all her money. She bought their current house just for her to be on her own. She is hiding documents. She has run out to neighbours asking for help & crying as she thinks dad is a stranger.
She has also become aggressive to dad and threatened him
verbally and physically .
Yet she knows me , my brother and when she calms down knows who dad is and is back to her usual self.
It seems frightening that she has changed so dramatically since Nov last year. The main thing is we are due at the memory clinic very soon but just wanted to share these experiences to see if this is common or resonates with anyone else.
I am going to look up some local support groups for either just dad or both of them.
Tia SJG
Hi, sorry to hear you're having such a stressful time. My mum has early stage dementia diagnosed by the memory clinic. They put her on Doneperzil to help ( although said it might not). She lives alone and used to call me crying asking where she was, THEY are moving her about. She also at time didn't recognise her flat, even though she'd lived there 12 years. All of it is very stressful and upsetting.
The memory clinic will put you in touch with different people who can support your dad. I have a lovely Admiral dementia nurse who I talk to and can email her anytime for support. I'm also doing an online carers course for support and shared experiences. Take any help you can, it will help you feel less alone.
Atm I'm trying to settle mum into a care home because with her memory & bad mobility it really became too much to leave her in her flat. That's a whole new set of challenges!?
Wish you all the best, its a cruel disease.

SJG54

May 15, 2024
Hi, sorry to hear you're having such a stressful time. My mum has early stage dementia diagnosed by the memory clinic. They put her on Doneperzil to help ( although said it might not). She lives alone and used to call me crying asking where she was, THEY are moving her about. She also at time didn't recognise her flat, even though she'd lived there 12 years. All of it is very stressful and upsetting.
The memory clinic will put you in touch with different people who can support your dad. I have a lovely Admiral dementia nurse who I talk to and can email her anytime for support. I'm also doing an online carers course for support and shared experiences. Take any help you can, it will help you feel less alone.
Atm I'm trying to settle mum into a care home because with her memory & bad mobility it really became too much to leave her in her flat. That's a whole new set of challenges!?
Wish you all the best, its a cruel disease.
Gosh am sorry to hear about your mum. Thank you for taking time out to share some advice. I will get dad in contact with an Admiral nurse as well after the memory clinic appoint. I think he can handle the no memory but it is the confusion and aggression he can't handle as it is all aimed at him. We have plans in place as a family where dad calls us and we speak to mum to calm her as me and my brother work f/t and can't always go over in.person when she is confused. That said the confusion may be down to an infection. Terrible disease as you said and wishing you best wishes in helping your mum settle ❤️