Euthanasia and Dementia

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Most Australian states have voluntary assisted suicide but it is very tightly regulated and the time frame is quite short, that you have to be diagnosed as having only months to live. And in Victoria, you have to administer the dose yourself which is central to the notion of it being a voluntary action. I am totally in favour of this and would use it myself if I found myself in that position.

I think that the word ‘voluntary’ is the key issue and absolutely essential in maintaining social integrity. We will never know how many elderly people and not just those with dementia have been quietly dispatched because it was no fun caring for an aged or ill person, or the temptation of an inheritance was too hard to resist.

My ex husband who had dementia but was dying from cancer, refused to believe that he was dying and my OH, now going slowly downhill on the dementia path, but also struggling with chronic heart failure and a leaking valve refuses also to believe that he could die quite soon. He is deciding whether he will continue to play bridge next year!

Who has the right to judge whether someone should live or die? And would I want to be the person who makes that decision? No. And I think that we have a responsibility to protect those people from these sort of actions. They are not pet dogs or cats that we have a certain and different responsibility to care for. How often do we hear people talk about putting a person into care because they want them to be safe? Then talk about euthanasia.

Can you imagine how hard it would be to get anyone, not just those with dementia to go into a care home.?

luggy

Jan 25, 2023
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0jjq2vynq7o

Interesting Reading…….need time to think on that one
Thank you for sharing this @sdmhred

I do have reservations concerning euthanasia for those who lack capacity, as the decision would have to be made by a 3rd party. I can imagine that there would be all kinds of contentious issues resulting in legal battles.

However, I'm a great believer in letting nature take it's course, which doesn't seem to be allowed to happen anymore. Perhaps the focus should be on the issue of prolonging death for those without capacity and whose quality of life is non-existent?

Neveradullday!

Oct 12, 2022
England
Perhaps the focus should be on the issue of prolonging death for those without capacity and whose quality of life is non-existent?
Very good point. I'm very uneasy about euthanasia especially for those who lack capacity, too, but I would go so far as to say prolonging death for those with no quality of life is criminal.

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
I think that instead of ever having to make a decision for our loved ones ,I for one, would like to see a proper program of palative and end of life care that is the same regardless of where you live. A program that not only cares for the dying but also the ones to be left behind. Some places and medics get it right others don’t as we have seen on here and I have heard from friends and colleagues. The right to die at home with the right amount of care with out being placed in and out of hospital or for all care institutions to follow a well supported plan with plenty of information for the family. It’s never going to be easy but it could be so much better.
If someone handed me an injection now for my mum , despite my support for assisted dying,I would just hand it back.

Dave63

Apr 13, 2022
Thank you for sharing this @sdmhred

I do have reservations concerning euthanasia for those who lack capacity, as the decision would have to be made by a 3rd party. I can imagine that there would be all kinds of contentious issues resulting in legal battles.

However, I'm a great believer in letting nature take it's course, which doesn't seem to be allowed to happen anymore. Perhaps the focus should be on the issue of prolonging death for those without capacity and whose quality of life is non-existent?
Good point @luggy

There was a quote in a recent post from someones GP who said "just because medical science can do some wonderful things doesn't mean it always should".

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I agree with you @luggy and @Dave63

This is perhaps an area where society could have a discussion without the whole assisted dying debate needing to be aired.

I found it very bizarre in mum‘s home for example that the lady next to her received a covid vaccine when she was down to only live a handful of weeks 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

And rounds of antibiotics into someone who is literally just a body being given enough food to keep going but with no quality of life. And the whole issue of giving nutritional drinks when people are not wanting to eat….when science agrees that refusing food /drink is a natural part of end of life and the body slowly shutting down.

And @SAP I would have loved support - the home kept saying to me as POA it was MY decision what should happen in the way of treatment and hospitalisation …but yet I felt such a conflict of interests as would inherit …..that would never be allowed in any other decision….I needed someone to share that burden with.

And when the time came we tried to get mum back to her Nursing home to die ….recorded in all her wishes but the hospital refused transport saying she might die in transit…but she was going to die anyway.

We need someone to help us with these things. Thankful for this safe place to explore and reflect. we can also give our opinions without judgment Which is rare for the internet!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I quite agree with posts talking about how appropriate it is to give vaccines, antibiotics, food supplements and other treatments to people at end stage/end of life, but I suspect that it is done out of fear of accusations of neglect and being sued. Most people who have never met it before have no idea what end of life in dementia is like. I have read many posts on here from angry bereaved relatives who think that if only their PWD had had xx treatment, or been given another round of ABs, or had nutrition got into them somehow, then they wouldnt have died

SAP

Feb 18, 2017
@sdmhred , you are so right about having a safe space. You went through a similar situation to a friend of mine, it’s like no one wants to be responsible for a death even if it means causing further harm to all concerned.

Lawson58

Aug 1, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Very good point. I'm very uneasy about euthanasia especially for those who lack capacity, too, but I would go so far as to say prolonging death for those with no quality of life is criminal.
Couldn’t agree more. When a medical intervention that may prolong life is being considered, the priority should take in all those issues. I have recommended several books on the topic on this forum but no one seems to read them.