Another new theory and some exciting research

Neveradullday!

That is interesting. The amyloid plaque theory has been around for many years. As the article says billions of dollars have been spent unbolting the wrong chandelier. The plaques occur long after memory loss - an effect, not a cause?

It says Alzheimer's is more likely caused by a breakdown of connections between brain cells (synapses) - I thought they knew that already?
Can that breakdown be stopped? Even reinstated? 🤞
In scientists we trust.

Lawson58

That is interesting. The amyloid plaque theory has been around for many years. As the article says billions of dollars have been spent unbolting the wrong chandelier. The plaques occur long after memory loss - an effect, not a cause?

It says Alzheimer's is more likely caused by a breakdown of connections between brain cells (synapses) - I thought they knew that already?
Can that breakdown be stopped? Even reinstated? 🤞
In scientists we trust.
He says that they have worked out how to switch the connection on again and have successfully achieved it mice. He believes that the breakthrough will be transferable.

His father died from Alzheimer’s but has been involved in the research for a long time and he communicates better than many academics

canary

I think this is interesting research and Im glad that people are looking at other things rather than just the plaques
I am concerned, though, that it is another mouse study. So many treatments have been shown to work on mice, but they then do not work with humans.

Lawson58

I think this is interesting research and Im glad that people are looking at other things rather than just the plaques
I am concerned, though, that it is another mouse study. So many treatments have been shown to work on mice, but they then do not work with humans.
Professor Vissel was interviewed on ABC Evening news on 28 th September this year. Definitely worth a look.

researchnut

I agree entirely.