1. Our next Q&A session is on the topic of Christmas and dementia.This time we want our Q&A to involve our resident experts, you! Share tips and advice on navigating Christmas here in this thread.

Pop by and post your questions or if you prefer you can email your question to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.
  1. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    Mum died this morning.

As you can see from my previous posts, I knew something was different/wrong. She'd continued to be 'unwell' for 2 weeks but nothing specific. I got a call on Saturday night to say her SATS were down and they'd called the doc. He came out and diagnosed a UTI but I still wasn't convinced.

She was found dead at 7 this morning. The nurse (who found her) told me she'd actually been a bit brighter yesterday and that he'd spoken with her at 4am this morning, but obviously her time had come.

It is 3 years since the accident that put her in the Care Home. She had dementia for at least 5 years before that, maybe as long as 10. They looked after her well and she was never ill. But she had no quality of life and was unhappy and very confused. I'm glad she didn't suffer more and relieved for my brother and I that this hasn't gone on longer.

2. Woohoo

Woohoo Registered User

Apr 30, 2019
    Female
    South East
  3. TNJJ

TNJJ Registered User

May 7, 2019
    Female
    cornwall
  4. Palerider

Palerider Registered User

Aug 9, 2015
    Male
    North West
  5. Sarasa

Sarasa Registered User

Apr 13, 2018
    So sorry @Jaded'n'faded , from the stories you’ve told us about she sounded so much like my mum.
    Glad her suffering is now over, look after yourself now. (((Hugs)))

6. jugglingmum

jugglingmum Registered User

Jan 5, 2014
    Female
    Chester
    Sending my condolences on your loss. I'm pleased to hear her suffering is over. (((hugs)))

7. anxious annie

anxious annie Registered User

Jan 2, 2019
    Sending condolences to you and your family. Your mum is now at peace xx

8. silver'lantern

silver'lantern Registered User

Apr 23, 2019
    Female
    calm and peace. She lay down and slept.... its twin edged I am sure. Relief its done....but you lost your mum.... a hard mix of emotions. The long farewell.
    remember and share happy memories.
    Take care

9. Bunpoots

Bunpoots Registered User

Apr 1, 2016
    Nottinghamshire
  10. Primrose19

Primrose19 Registered User

Nov 27, 2016
    Female
    Many condolences. As others have said, reminds me of my mum who is stuck in bed with no quality of life, so sad.

11. Toony Oony

Toony Oony Registered User

Jun 21, 2016
    My sincere sympathy to you and your family. Take comfort that your Mum's suffering has come to an end.

X

12. Lirene

Lirene Registered User

Sep 15, 2019
    So sorry to hear about your mum, hope you are okay. Prayers being said xx

13. Jaded'n'faded

Jaded'n'faded Registered User

Jan 23, 2019
    Female
    High Peak
    Thank you everyone.

It's been a difficult day but I'm mostly just relieved it is over for her. The last 3 years have been really awful.

There may be a cornoner's hearing over cause of death. Mum's GP wants to put 'progression of vascular dementia' and I agree. There was nothing else wrong with mum!

14. annielou

annielou Registered User

Sep 27, 2019
    Sending love and sympathy x

15. Sirena

Sirena Registered User

Feb 27, 2018
    Female
    Sorry to hear your sad news. I can understand your feelings of relief, she's at peace now.

16. Izzy

Izzy Volunteer Moderator

Aug 31, 2003
    Female
    Dundee
    I’m so sorry to read your news, Wishing you strength.