Moblity

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Hi
Over the last week my dad periodically can’t get out of his chair it is like he is over thinking it and just can’t get up I am at a loss as what to do because obviously it’s not safe and he will either have to go to bed when I leave about 7 or get evening carers in which at this point I am reluctant to do because sometimes he can do it on his own
Has anyone had any experience of this can it come and go ? Are there any aids or anything that can help ? Or if it is due Alzheimers’s is that it ?
I am at a loss and sorry to say I am finding it frustrating because I know on some occasions he’s got up because theres biscuit wrappers on the table !
Many Thanks

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Periods of rigidity when they get "stuck" are mostly associated with Lewy Body Dementia, but can happen in other types, especially when they become more advanced. When the period of rigidity wears off they can them move again

One way that can often work to get out of the rigidity is to stop them thinking about what they are doing and using automatic responses - eg, getting them to shake hands with you which means that they are already leaning forwards and halfway to getting up.

If this doesnt work, you can get standing aids such as a Sara Steddy, but unfortunately, this has to be operated by someone else.

Neither of these solutions solve the problem of when you are not there. I do think that getting carers in to help him ready for bed would be a good idea. My experience of carers is that they try and get the person to do as much as they can themselves before stepping in.

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Periods of rigidity when they get "stuck" are mostly associated with Lewy Body Dementia, but can happen in other types, especially when they become more advanced. When the period of rigidity wears off they can them move again

One way that can often work to get out of the rigidity is to stop them thinking about what they are doing and using automatic responses - eg, getting them to shake hands with you which means that they are already leaning forwards and halfway to getting up.

If this doesnt work, you can get standing aids such as a Sara Steddy, but unfortunately, this has to be operated by someone else.

Neither of these solutions solve the problem of when you are not there. I do think that getting carers in to help him ready for bed would be a good idea. My experience of carers is that they try and get the person to do as much as they can themselves before stepping in.
Thank You for this he does literally say I’m stuck
It’s really got to me today it’s been a very hard Christmas
I will look at getting carers in for bed time it’s just getting too much at the minute for me I have them in in a morning then I go over mid morning and tea time but now he is ringing when I get home saying he’s stuck so I have to go over again and put him to bed but then like I say there’s evidence that he’s been up
I just don’t know how long he can carry on in his own home like this xx

helpingpeggy

Aug 6, 2019
Would a higher chair or a riser chair be suitable? You could ask for an OT assessment through social services

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Would a higher chair or a riser chair be suitable? You could ask for an OT assessment through social services
We are currently looking for a higher chair OT been out but can’t do anything with his two seater settee he could do with a higher chair with arms , although I do think that alot is in his head he now seems to be ringing when we have left to say he’s stuck I really think he is paranoid about being on his own

Jale

Jul 9, 2018
My first thought was possible UTI, they used to knock mum off her legs literally and she wouldn't be able to put one foot in front of the other

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
He did have a UTI a few weeks ago so that could have initially caused it Im at a loss at the moment he really does seem to have had a dip in everything I think it might be progression of the disease he is looking very vacant at times too it’s so sad to see

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
Hi, exactly the same has happened with my mum. Hers is caused by a mixture of anxiety and brain overload. Sometimes I can see on her face she just can’t work out what to do. It started in September last year and was initially periodic when she was tired or under pressure. Ironically home carers made it worse as she was under pressure to mobilise when they were here. Sadly this is the issue that led her to go into residential care. Things are slowly deteriorating for her mobility wise…but the good thing about being in residential is that she can be hoisted when needed and therefore is still able to get up and enjoy life. Home carers said as her mobility was so variable they would probably have to confine her to bed.
its awful to watch - I’m sorry ur dad is going through this too.

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Hi,
Thank you for your reply this sounds exactly how my dad is now. I can also see on his face he sometimes can’t work out what to do
I know he gets anxious at night so rings me because he’s stuck but he seems to have managed throughout the day just
My partners stayed ever night with him since Wednesday hoping that it’s going to get better we are both exhausted and know we can’t sustain what we are doing
We are trying to find a better chair for him but tbh I don’t think it will make any difference it seems to be in his head now that he can’t do it and it is probably his mobility getting worse
Thank You for sharing this about your mum and that you can identify with it xxxx

sdmhred

Jan 26, 2022
Surrey
I hope you find the solution that works for you @Cats2022 - your partner staying over as you say will be too much to sustain.

Have you been in touch with an OT? Either social services or his GP may be able to refer. They can assess and provide the necessary equipment- it usually comes pretty quickly.

Cats2022

Jan 22, 2022
Yes OT have been out not a lot they can do with the settee with it being a two seater it can't be raised they did send out a wheel chair to get him from room to room but that’s not been needed GP came out and did a medical assessment she basically said get carers in more often we just have them in a morning at the moment to help with washing and dressing
We have been to order a chair today that can raise and tilt etc
TBH I am not sure if anything is going to make a difference I think he just gets anxious at night and wants us there like your mum I think the anxiety does in some way cause the not being able to get up issue and he knows if he rings we will go over and get him up from the settee
It’s so hard at the moment